EPILOGUE (Part 2 of 2)

DATE THY ENEMY
EPILOGUE: Part 2 of 2
(Javier Alexandro de Leon's POV)

Simula nang umuwi si Vernaise galing ibang bansa ay hindi na siya kailanman tumawag o nagtext sa'kin. Alam kong papauwi na sila nang Santa Monica, iyon ang huling sinabi niya sa'kin bago hindi nagparamdam. Tumatawag rin ako ngunit hindi sumasagot. Hindi ako mapakali. Hindi siya kailanman naging ganito. Kung may araw na mga abala siya, nagpapaalam siya kaya hindi din ako nangungulit. But she didn't tell me anything at all.

''Erik.'' I called my trusted friend when I couldn't take it anymore. ''Check up on Vernaise, and tell me if you find anything strange or what.''

''Huh? Bakit may nangyari ba?''

''I'm not yet sure. But can you do me this favor? Call me right away after.''

''Sige, sige.''

Pagod akong humilig sa upuan. I pinched the bridge of my nose as I calmed myself down. Pagod na ako sa trabaho, at mas lalo akong nakaramdam ng pagod nang walang marinig sa nobya. Now that we are away from each other, her text and calls are the only thing that keeps me going. It hella frustrates me not knowing what is happening.

Did something bad happen?

Agad kong naimulat ang mga mata. That dark thought played in my mind over and over again. I abruptly stood up from my seat and took my keys with me when I left the office. Hindi na ako umuwi sa bahay at dumiretso nang bumyahe pa Santa Monica.

I was in the middle of the road when Erik called. Agad ko iyong sinagot.

''What did you find?'' I asked impatiently.

''Nasa hospital si Vernaise, Javier. Sinugod daw noong isang araw dahil mataas ang lagnat.''

Kumunot ang noo ko at mas lalong nag-alala. May lagnat si Vernaise? And it was too high that she was sent to the hospital? I felt a pang on my chest. She's weak and vulnerable, she's sick, but I wasn't even on her side.

''Send me the details.''

''Pauwi ka ba? Hindi ako sigurado kung maabutan mo, rinig ko papaalis na sila.''

''Just send me the details.'' And I ended the call.

Mas binilisan ko ang pagpapatakbo para agad na makauwi. Erik sent me the details of the hospital and the room number. When I finally arrived, I parked my car outside and instantly went to find the room. But when I went there, no one was there anymore.

Napatingin ako sa cellphone nang tumunog iyon. The endearment Vernaise saved along with her contact before, appeared on the screen. I feel like it was the only time I was able to breathe properly.

Love:

Nothing. I'm just feeling tired these days so I needed to rest.

I asked her if everything's alright or if we have a problem, but this is the response she sent me.

She said she's just feeling tired and needed some rest. She did not tell me that she had a fever, and was brought to a hospital. She hid that information knowing I'd run to her wherever she is.

Hindi ko gustong itinatago niya sa'kin ang mga bagay na ito. I am beyond worried! Pero ayaw ko ring itanong at mangulit muna lalo na't kagagaling lamang niya sa sakit. Naiintindihan ko kung ano man ang rason o pipilitin kung intindihin.

But then after two days, she called me and all I heard was her crying. Halos hindi ako makahinga dahil hindi ko malaman kung bakit siya umiiyak. I wanted to take away the pain she was feeling. If there is something that upsets her, I wanted to know so I can do something about it. Pero panay lamang ang iyak niya.