7

Chapter 7
''Interest''

I brush my hair quickly as possible before running downstairs. Marya, my handmaiden, keeps on calling me for her final instructions. Isang malamig na tingin ang ginawad ko sa kanya kaya natahimik din siya agad. Nakita ko si Mommy sa living room nang nasa huling baitang na ako. Naibaba niya ang hawak na tasa nang namataan akong medyo nagmamadali.

''Vernaise, where are you going?'' she asked, eyeing my clothes.

I went to her to kiss her cheek. ''Rhys and Solenn invited me, Mom. They'll be celebrating their Christmas here.''

''The De Leon, Vernaise?''

Tumango ako. Solenn and I got pretty close after that vacation in their resort. When I got home that day, after three days, she's already outside of our home. Gulat na gulat ako nang makita siya. She said she's been looking for me. I didn't even know she'd literally look for me! That girl is really something.

Most of my days in that summer was spent with her. We became friends. And because she's a De Leon, I got to meet her cousins, frequently, too. And that includes Javier de Leon.

''Tell your Dad that you're going out to meet them.''

''Can you just please tell him about it, po?''

''Kilala mo ang Daddy mo, Vernaise. You know I always let you out. But if it's about that family, I won't let you out without his permission.'' she said.

I sighed.

My Dad thinks, being friends with Solenn Tamara de Leon means being friends with the rest of the De Leon. And he quite doesn't approve of that. He doesn't want me to get involve with that family. He doesn't speak ill of them, but he'd always say he got a strange feeling about them, about all of this, very opposite to Lolo's perception.

When Lolo found out that I already met the De Leon's, he didn't say anything. I thought he'll be mad at me for not telling him, but he didn't. He looked even satisfied with it. But of course, I didn't get away with it without him sharing his words of wisdom I needed to ponder.

''Vernaise!''

I waved at Solenn when I finally saw her coming near me. She looks so happy. Her face is clearly radiating with it.

Umirap ako nang tumakbo na ito papunta sa'kin para yumakap. I hugged her back. Natawa nalang din kinalaunan.

''It's been a long time since I saw you personally! I missed you!'' she giggled.

They just got home from L.A yesterday, and she wants us to meet already. Pinagbigyan ko lalo na't ngayon lang ulit kami magkikita. Mabuti nalang din at pumayag si Daddy nang wala masyadong sinasabi. He nags more than Mom.

When that summer ended, I went home to Manila to continue my studies. Nevertheless, we still did communicate with each other. I told her I'll be spending the vacation here. It's already December when the school declared long vacation for Christmas. Pero nang umuwi naman ako dito, iyon naman ang araw ng byahe nila papunta sa ibang bansa.

''I wonder what you saw in Los Angeles to make you this happy.'' ngisi ko nang humiwalay na kami.

''Wala, no! Masaya lang ako dahil nakita na ulit kita!'' sabi niya. ''Mabuti nga nakumbinsi ko sina Mommy na dito mag-Christmas! You're here so I want to spend it here!''