Faded Memories

"C/n?" You question as Bff/n introduces you to her boyfriend's friend. You couldn't believe your eyes; you hadn't thought you would see him again. Not after you had quit. 

You used to work for C/n, though often it felt like you worked alongside him, technically he was your boss. He had made you realize that your previous bosses used their title as a privilege. C/n worked hard. Sometimes too hard. That's something you loved about him. In the end, you loved a few too many things about him and felt you could no longer work so closely with him on a daily basis. 

You quit. Not just because of that, you thought that would be stupid. No, you quit after you had found a job you were excited about and an apartment that felt like home. 

You had missed him. Throughout the first year, he had messaged you now and then, just to check in and you'd chat back and forth for hours. 

Then it faded. You never knew why. 

Now you stood before him, dressed in a Chucky outfit trying to hear a single word that was being said over the music of the large Halloween party. His arm was wrapped around the waist of the woman at his side. 

"Yes?" One word slashed at your chest. 
"It's Y/n/n?" You tried your nickname, but he showed no recognition.

"Okay, this is weird," Bff/n commented, though only you seemed to hear her. She knew it was him, she knew you two knew each other. She hadn't expected this result. 
"We used to work with each other. A few years back?" Your throat was tightening around your vocal cords. 

"Oh yeah, Y/n." He nods, though the memory seemed vague. To you, he had never been vague, he stuck with you. "How have you been?" For a flicker of an eye, you could have sworn you saw a genuine interest in your answer. 
"I'm fine." You enthused. "Are you going to introduce us?" 
"Oh yeah. This is Y/e/n.." 
"Good to meet you." Y/e/n smiled, offering her hand. You take it, returning the favor. She seemed nice. That killed you. 

"I'm going to find Y/f/n." You mentioned turning away from them as they began to chat. 
"Here she is Y/n," Bff/n called to you, you grimaced but kept walking, you couldn't stand with him any longer. You realized now you had spent far too much time thinking about him. 

"Y/n wait." His voice had changed, you were moving up the stairs. "Y/n." It sounded like him. 
"Everything okay?" You smiled, turning to face him. 

"I." He swallows, gathering his thoughts before he moved a few steps up, his mime outfit bright under the lights. "I. I'm sorry." He spoke at his normal volume which came to you in the form of a whisper. 

"Why are you sorry? It's been years. Don't worry about it." You shrugged it off, forcing the words up your throat. 
"I panicked." He snatched at your arm as if scared you were going to turn away from him. "I remember you. How could I forget?" His words allowed you to breathe, or perhaps stop, you couldn't quite tell. 
"But-" 
"I'm stupid. I never thought I was going to see you again. Then you were right there in front of me. Panic just flooded from every direction. I'm sorry." He apologized again.

"God, you're such a jerk sometimes." You laughed pushing at his shoulder, your face alight. "That hurt." You laughed some more, and he joined you. 
"Can we try again?" He questioned. 
"Of course. We'll take it from the top." You mentioned, holding up a finger, telling him to wait a minute. You moved up a few more stairs before turning back. You walked as if you were making your way to Bff/n before purposely bumping into him. 
"C/n?" Your eyes widened as they did the first time around. 
"Y/n/n." He gleamed, wrapping his arms around you, lifting you from the ground. "How are you?" 
"Really good. How are you?" 
"Better now." And the two of you began to laugh again. 

"Good." You smiled, giving him a squeeze before he set you down. "It was good to see you. And meet Y/e/n." You nodded to the woman who was staring the both of you down. "Let's get together sometime for drinks." You took note of his brows furrowing together at your words. 

"Yeah... okay." He nods letting you move passed him as he remained still. 

You knew he had expected more. 

"She's just a friend." He calls you, but you pretend you didn't hear him. 

Bff/n eventually joined you again and you forgot about the beginning of the night. Dancing away and enjoying the thrilling fun of a Halloween party. As the night was dying down, Bff/n decided she needed to head home, you weren't far behind her. 

You had been standing in the middle of the living room of B/f/n's house, glowing lights blinding you now and then, tinting your skin green.

He was there. Towering over the rest of the crowd, his eyes were pinned to you, a halo of purple light gentle and glowing against his skin. He pushed through the ocean of people with ease. 

His hands enveloped your face, warming your skin. Your eyes had closed already. His breath fanned over your cheeks.

The point of his cupid's bow brushed against yours. 
"I can't let you leave again." He spoke to you. "I lived and I moved on, but you left a part of me empty. I fell in love with you many years ago and I never fell out." 

His lips interlocked with your own, pouring his energy into you. You melted into him. As you pulled away, he brought you into another hug, ensuring you were real, that you were close.
"I love you too."

¬

This is... sort of a Halloween one. The next few will definitely be Halloween-orientated. I'm not sure about this one. 
Do you guys like it?

So, it looks like Wattpad isn't going to let me upload an image today :(

Anyway, I'll do better next time hopefully.
I hope your day/night is autmuntastic,
¬Brei