Christmas Party Blackout

Instead, you stood, talking to your co-workers, who thankfully you enjoyed the company of, dressed in the first oversized Christmas jumper you could find and a pair of jeans. 

Your work did tend to throw the best parties, especially at this time of the year. 

"So, I think I finally bought my wife the perfect Christmas present." Your co-worker spoke, reminding you of the disaster that had been his gift the year before. 

"It's not another Weight Loss kit is it?" 
"I was trying to support her decision, okay? It was a mistake." He snaps, with a pouty tone, hating that he'd never been able to live that down. "This one is good, I promise." 
"Okay, but I'm going to be honest if you're wrong." You reminded as he continues to speak. Your eyes drift across the room, meeting that of another co-worker.

One that you got along with very well. 

He was the one person who could make you smile even when you were having a terrible day. Since December first, his way of making you smile was calling you ridiculous Christmas pet names. 

Anything from Snowflake to all eight reindeer names. 

"I got her two spa days for every month of next year for  when she wants to get away from me and the kids." 

"Okay. This is going to sound super offensive but that is the perfect present." I encourage him, glad that hadn't said something stupid like a toilet plunger so she could clean easier. 

C/n gives her a warm, tight-lipped smile, between contributing to the conversation he was having. 

"This storm's getting pretty insane huh?" Another of your co-workers, Adam, chimes in, his eyes piercing through yours. He was the office hottie. 

You saw it but you weren't attracted to him. He was nice, a good guy to talk to. 
He also happened to like playing matchmaker which sent every other guy and gal you knew crazy. 

"Yeah, I'm surprised they didn't cancel it." You commented, noticing your other co-worker had disappeared. 

C/n grabs another glass of champagne, heading in your direction, you curl your fist, attempting to calm yourself. He gets caught by another co-worker, pulled into conversation. He rolls his eyes cheekily, signaling that he'd be with you in a moment. 

"So, when are you and C/n going to give in and go out."  Adam questions, moving slightly closer to you, a smile on his lips as he leans against the bar, looking up at you. 

"What are you doing?" You question, knowing he was up to something. This man was like your older brother, you knew him like the back of your hand. 
"Just making sure that if your answer is anything longer than a few days, it changes immediately." He smirks. 

C/n looks at the both of you and all of a sudden you find yourself relaxing into the situation, finding that some small part of you that agreed with Adam had more control than you thought. 

"Never, is the answer to your question." You reply. "That is the only reason I'm playing along with this, to finally prove it to you." 
"Whatever." Adam chuckles, licking his lips.

You catch the furrowing of C/n's eyebrows, heart fluttering with a string of hope. 

"You're gonna have to try a lot harder if you're going to get a laugh out of me." You challenge Adam, hoping he had something in mind. 

"Hey, Y/n/n?" He asks. 
"Yeah?" 
"You forget that I know you." He stabs a finger into your rib, bringing a genuine laugh from your lips. 

C/n's eyes again are pulled to watch you, growing restless in the conversation he was stuck having.

"Damn you." You curse, though you were glad he did it. 

"Here." He orders you a drink, handing it to you. "I don't understand how you don't see it." He comments. 
"Huh?" You hum through your glass. 

"He is so into you." 

"Whatever you say Cupid." You roll your eyes. 

"Y/n." He takes your free hand, lightly tracing your fingers. "Trust me." 

C/n's eyes flicker continuously as if he can't take his eyes off what's happening. His teeth grind against each other. 

Adam wasn't just a matchmaker, he was a successful matchmaker and you were the only person who knew why. Adam would see a pair who he claims to have a gut feeling about and he begins flirting with the guy or girl. 

Jealousy kicks in and bam.... couple. 

You couldn't believe you were indulging in this. 

"Why on earth should I trust you, Adam?" You whisper. "You have no proof, no one can be successful all of the time and you haven't failed yet. I am the one time out of ten that you're going to be wrong." 

"Y/n." He repeats. "You have to trust me." 

...

The lights flicker before the place goes pitch black, and a murmur of panic spreads through the room in a wave, everyone trying their best to find their way around. 

Before you could reach into your pocket and pull out your phone for light, your body was pulled into another. 

A pair of lips smash against your own, your body struggling not to melt into the floor. You feel the person's entirety pouring into you as they shared every ounce of emotion through this kiss. Their fingers curl into the material of your jumper.

You don't have time to put your hands to their face before they've disappeared, leaving you unsteady on your feet. You catch sight of the door closing as people began turning on their torches. 

You turned, meeting Adam's eyes, mouth agape as you process what had happened.

"Are you okay?" He questions, worried that something bad took place.

"C/n..." You whisper. 

His face lightens. 
"Go." He encourages. 

"But..."
"You have to." Adam lets out a breath of a laugh. "Jealousy is a screwed-up thing, it messes with people. Luckily, I'm a screwed-up person." He assures with guilt in his eyes. 

...

"Merry Christmas Eve, Eve Y/n/n." Adam smiles, turning you to the door. "Go get him." 

...

Hey! First Christmas one! There will be more this week and a sequel to one from last year. 

Thank you guys so much for 16k reads, that's amazing! More than I ever imagined this would receive.

Part 2?

I hope you have a cozy day/night

~Brei