In The Dark

The storm had caused the power to go out. The doors had been barricaded, the windows taped. The winds were hurricane-strength, and anyone who left was at risk of meeting death. Some people seemed a little too eager to try. 

The room was erupting with voices arguing as to what the next move was if something went wrong, the opposing side said we needed to stay put until something did happen. The building was strong enough, you thought. 

Still, it was beginning to be too much, so leaving the other workers from your building behind, you disappeared back up the emergency stairs. Your boss's office was much quieter and you still had plenty of things to proofread for him. 

Sitting in his chair as you were often caught doing when he walked out for two moments, you thought back to the start of the day. You never imagined it going this way. The storm wasn't supposed to arrive for another day. When you were all supposed to be at home, staying safe. 

You started the day as you always did, grabbing coffee for you and C/n, your boss. Days always went better when you were well caffeinated. 
"Morning." He smiled, slipping into his office, cutting off the line of people who wanted to talk to him before he disappeared for the day. Most people went for glass for their corner office but C/n shut himself in with walls, keeping the windows where they were supposed to be.

"You know they're going to throw you from a window or something one day?" You murmured as you highlighted the sentence you were reading. "People hate sending emails." 
"Well, they know my policy, I like everything written down." He smiled, peaking out of the blind to find every returning to their desks. "When did you get in?" 
"Early, though on time seems to be a choice now too?" You judged him running late to his own company. 
"I'm sorry, I'm sorry had to help my neighbor tape her windows, and then the other neighbor needed help too." He huffed, sitting in the seat opposite her. 

"5:30." You answered his previous question, resisting the smile that wanted to appear from his innate kindness. 

"Haven't I told you to stop coming in so early?" 
"Yeah, I know, the business hours get confused and other people might think I'm getting paid more." You shake your head as you speak, what you thought to be the issue. 

"Hey, hey. You seriously think that's why?" He pulls the paper away from you, forcing you to look him in the eye. 

"What other reason is there?" You query. 

"How about that I'm concerned you're overworking yourself. Or that you're going to despise me if you work too much." 
"It's my choice you know? I don't think I could take that out on you." 
"Yeah, well, I don't want to risk it." He offers a soft smile. "Why don't you take the rest of the day off, and prepare for the storm?" 
"Do you think it's going to be as bad as they said?" You ask, resting your head in your hands. 
"Worse, some say." He assures. "So, you gonna do as you're told." He joked. 

"You'd get in a lot of trouble if it wasn't me you were saying that to." You smile. "And no I'm not.  I'm staying right here and making sure enough gets down to last the fortnight. Just in case we can't make it in." 
"You know, our job kind of allows us to work at home if we need to." He speaks with a gentle tone that had it been anyone else would've been condescending. 

"Not the point." She glares. "If I'm going to be stuck at home, all on my lonesome, then I want to curl up and do nothing for a week straight, cry in a corner whenever I want to." You tease. 
"You can cry in a corner any time you like here, just can't guarantee you'd be alone." He rises from his seat, rounding to your side of the desk. 

"Well, I'll leave you to work. I've got to get some scans of this anyhow." You hold the thick wad of paper in place. "I'll see you at lunch?" 
"Yeah." He nods. 

Only he called you before lunch, not even half an hour after you'd originally left his office for the morning. One day you hoped to have a space for yourself to work. Although your corner was away from the other workers, it wasn't quiet enough for your liking. You'd never tell C/n that. Even though he'd asked you a million times if you wanted one. 

"Did you need something big guy?" You always called him that when he phoned you. 

"It's just you at your house huh?" 
"Yeah.... though that's kind of a creepy question don't you think? If you're planning on breaking in, I'll just leave the window open." You laugh. 

"No, but that's good to keep in mind." Then he hung up. 

"OK then." You shook your head at his antics unsure of what he was up to now. 

An hour later he walks passed, gesturing for you to head into his office before disappearing down the hall. You sit, opposite his chair, waiting for him. 

"Ok, finally, everyone's off my back." He sighs, sitting down. "I want you to come and stay with me tonight." 
"Excuse me?" You questioned. 
"I know it seems inappropriate but I'm going to be worrying all night, all day, and so on... So, come stay with me. Be alone with me." His words cause you to giggle. For the two moments it took you to answer, he almost seemed hurt. 

As if you had been laughing at him and not his words. 

Then the storm hit without warning. 

Sitting at his desk now, lightning, thunder, and whaling winds keeping you company, you still winced at the thought. It only took place an hour or so ago. 

The disturbance meant you'd never answered. 

The disturbance meant C/n had to do his job and keep people calm. 

Until the office door opened again. 

"You've had me worried sick." 

~

Just a little bit of fluff and the smallest thing of angst for you to enjoy. I swear I never meant for these to be two-parters but then I write too much and well here we are. 

I think this one will grow on me, part two will be better I think... maybe lol. I hope you enjoyed reading. 

See you in the next part,

May your day/night be as soft as rain. 

~Brei