Got Lost In The Game (P.t.2)

Everyone went back to dancing. 

The posts were already gaining traction on Tiktok. One thing people loved more than trends was when trends went terribly wrong... or when someone got what they deserved. 

C/n having a spoonful of his own medicine fell under that last category. 

It made everyone's night. 

Except for yours. You now sat on the closed lid of a toilet, head in your hands. Words echoed around your head, ones you'd heard from parents, grandparents... anyone who had given you life advice at one point or another. 

"Two wrongs don't make a right. Stooping to someone's level when they've done something wrong only makes you as bad as them. Be the bigger person." That was your mother's words. They shifted depending on the person. 

You couldn't take it back now but you also knew you'd have to find a way to apologise to C/n. That would make you feel better. This was one of those moments you knew your brain would never let you forget. 

Your heart ached. 

It was wrong and it wasn't your place. With a sigh, you stand, exiting the stall. Stood in front of the mirror, your shoulders sunk, so much judgement in your own stare. 

The guilt was just about eating you alive. 

"Time to go home." You whispered to yourself though the night wasn't to end for another few hours. As you're fixing the smudging of your lipstick you realised you no longer had a ride.

The bathroom door burst open and slammed shut in one blurring movement. You stared at the reflection, eyes meeting C/n's frantic-edged ones. 

"What are you doing in here?" You mumbled but it was quiet enough for him to hear you. The music remained muffled in the distance, meaning you weren't left in deadly silence. 

"It's empty isn't it?" He scans the rest of the room. "I can leave..." He peeks out the door. 
"No, I mean... Why are you back?" 
"I wanted to talk to you." He leans against the door again. 

"Then talk." You encouraged him, wanting to hear what he had to say before you folded and apologized." 
"How long?" He questioned. "How long had that been a plan for? Was it last minute or..." He hesitates. 
"From the start... from before the start." You answered honestly. 

"So, what, saying yes wasn't genuine... the whole thing was just to get me back?" He raises his voice. 
"Like you asking me was genuine." You scoffed. "Am I supposed to believe that if I didn't do it, if I didn't make that mistake, you wouldn't have done it yourself?" 
"Never." He shakes his head. "Not to you."

"And what about the other girls C/n? The ones who fell head over heels for you? My best friend came to me shattered because of you, humiliated because of you. I can't just say, aw, how sweet you chose not to break my heart." You screamed, desperate for him to understand. 

"You're right." He nodded. "You're right." You saw something click in his eyes. "Come." He grabs your hand, dragging you back through to the main hall. 

"What are you doing C/n?" She hissed. 

"What's right." He insists. 

Everyone stopped dancing seeing him re-enter the building. Some people laughed, others booed. He persisted anyway, pushing himself up on stage, and he took the mic from the DJ. The booing got louder.

You stood in the middle of the crowd. 

"I'm a terrible person." He admits straight off the bat, now earning cheers of agreement. "Absolutely terrible. Thank you to every single person in this room who participated tonight because it's made me wake up. Y/n's made me wake up because I trusted her and it... it didn't feel great when that was broken." He confessed. 

Camera lights began appearing all over the hall. A silence had washed over all of them. 

"I will never be able to take it back, I wish I could. You may not believe me but I've wished that for a long while now. To take it back. And sincerely, hand over my heart, I swear what I'm about to say has nothing to do with what I say after it... I'm sorry." He nods, eyes glistening. "To Bff/n, to Vicky and to Lyla who I played this cruel joke on... I'm sorry from the core of my being." 

Bff/n took your hand, you looked at her. 

"And I hope that at some point if I earn it, you will forgive me." He swallows. 

"Y/n." His hands begin to shake more noticeably to his audience. "Thank you for what you did... it sounds bad but I know no one else would have been able to do it. I want you to know, to rid of your worries, of your fear that I never had the intention to take participate in that silly trend again, let alone with you... never." He reassures. "Believe me or not, it's the truth."

"What is happening?" You whispered. 

"And this seems to have taken a rather odd and sharp turn... and I don't expect you to say anything or even like me for the next 20-something years but... I really do like you, I really did want to ask you to prom. I hope, maybe even a little part of the charade was real... but if it wasn't... that's okay too, I get it." He trails off, realizing there was a good chance you were about to break his heart. 

A sea of whispers were pushed toward you. People at your school were apparently quick to forgive. You understood that though, all of them were into drama... this was certainly dramatic. 

But that was C/n for you. Dramatic. 

Now you had to match the energy.

"Ask me again..." She shouted, the crowd separating so he could see her properly. 

"What?" 
"Ask me to prom again... I promise you, I will react as I would have if I thought it was real." You insisted. 

He jumped down from the stage, striding toward you. He stopped a few metres from you, eyes flicking to the crowd. 

"Hey, don't look at them. Look at me." You joked, most people laughed, including him, easing his tension. 

"Y/n..." He hesitated. "Hang on..." He dashes away before returning with one of the flowers that decorated the room. A sunflower. "There we go. I wanted to give you this because... well it's super cheesy, especially saying it in front of hundreds of people but... you make me feel like a sunflower." He hands it to you. "And I was just wondering if you'd like to go to prom with me?" 

Your smile blossomed fully on your face, finding yourself without words, you wrapped your arms around his neck, pulling him close. 

"Yes." You whispered, to him, just a moment for the two of you and not the cameras. Without a second passing, he returned the favour, squeezing you back. "This is the you I want to see from now on... the real you." 
"I promise." He smiles. 

The next day, you found that the videos of him being pranked were basically forgotten due to the videos that were caught of his apology and his confession. 

And thought Tiktok could sometimes be negative, knowing you'd have that memory forever didn't feel like such a bad thing. 

~
There we go... part 2... finally. 

I hope you all enjoyed it, especially since it's been so long since I uploaded the first part. 

Thank you so much for very nearly 25k reads! That is insane to me!

I hope you have a day/night full of dancing,
~Brei