Confessions (p.t.2)

"It wasn't only one page..." He breathed. "I didn't mean to read it, when Aubrey wanted it back I assumed you'd forgotten something and made a big deal out of nothing... I didn't realize. I opened it to the latest page, and that was it, shut it as soon as it clicked." He stops you in your tracks, you were trying to escape, to make it home. 

"I don't care C/n, I don't." You reassured him. "I just need to make the switch." It was a lie, he could tell, and you could tell he could tell. It was all a giant mess. "Otherwise we don't have those 2 am solutions of yours." 
Then you left, walked away without another word, and cursed the fact that you had to walk into work the next day. 

You tossed and turned that night, not sleeping a wink before you had to get up. The bags under your eyes were dark and your enthusiasm was low as you walked to work. As soon as you stepped within the building you put on a show of being happy-go-lucky. 

"Y/n, my office when you can please." Oscar requests of you, in such a serious tone for a moment you think you're in trouble for some reason, then you see the look in his eyes. You were fine. 

On your way into his office after a few moments of settling in, you checked your phone, finding two missed calls from C/n from 2:00 am. You'd thought it was only the notifications that you'd turned off, it wasn't so. 

"That's going to make it worse." You sigh. Today you were just going to be normal, yesterday you'd allowed yourself to be dramatic. That was stupid. 

"How can I help you, Oscar?" 
"What's going on with you and c/n? He's so quiet today I thought I had died overnight..." 
"How do you know it's anything to do with me?" 
"Because what else would it be?" Oscar enthused. "The only thing I've ever seen him upset over is you." 
"What do you mean?" 
"I probably shouldn't say anything but I'm too invested at this point. He's so invested in you. I can't describe how much of his heart you have." 
"What are you talking about?" Your brows became furrowed as he rambled at you. 
"He caught me up on everything and made me swear I wouldn't say anything but he left to get you coffee so I'm taking my chance and he can kill me later..." 
"I'm starting to get confused so I'm going to have to ask you to give me a brutal version of whatever you're saying." 
"He thinks what you wrote about him isn't true anymore, that you've moved passed whatever 'phase' it was. Which, by the way, dating your entries could have helped." 
"You read them?" 
"Well, yeah, I needed to know." 
"You're lucky I love you." The words weren't well timed as the door opened and C/n froze in place. 
"Sorry, am I interrupting something, I'll just-" He closes the door and disappears. 
"That was..." Oscar remains speechless. "You've got to tell him." 
"Dammit, Oscar." You groan, getting up from your seat. "Next time you want to read my confession book, could you ask?" 
"Would you have said yes?" 
"For you? Probably." You nod. He pouts, touched by your words. 

"Go." He hurries you along. "Put the man out of his misery." 
Oscar was an encouraging person, that's how you could walk across to C/n's office with a shred of confidence. You don't bother knocking, letting yourself in. He's leaned against the wall behind his desk, face buried in the nook of his arms. His breaths are deep. 

"C/n." You whisper. He whips around, offering the most steady unstable smile he could muster. 

"Hey Y/n, how can I help you?" His voice shakes a touch but he regulates it with ease. 

"You don't need to pretend that you're... well, whatever you are." You assure him. He rounds the desk, sitting against it, his arms crossed. 

"Simply getting on with my day." He nods. "It's ok, really... and hey, it's my fault, I should have listened to Aubrey when she insisted it was actually the big deal she was making it out to be... I just thought, perhaps it was your idea book or... you'd forgotten something." 
When you don't speak, he continues to talk, his eyes cast to the ground. 
"I've never understood why you stress as much as you do about your work, I mean, you're our best worker, it's not like we'd ever fire you." He sighs.

"I just want to do what's best for the company." You assure him. "That means working hard and making as little amount of mistakes as possible." This was not the part of the conversation he'd hoped you'd respond to. 

"And?" His voice lowers. This was your last chance before he truly did move on with his day. 
"I was mortified when I realized which book you had. I acted dramatically out of panic... but I'm clear-minded now... that and Oscar is a loudmouth." You laugh. 
"I knew he couldn't keep it to himself. So, I guess you know?" He sighs. 
"That whichever page you read meant something to you, yeah." You confirm. "I gathered at least that much from Oscars rambling." 
"It's so much more than that but, there's not much point in diving into that whirlpool." He waves it off, turning his back on you as he goes to resume working. "You don't have to worry about me if that's why you're in here. I'll be fine." He shrugs it off. "Go back to Oscar, tell him I'm ok, that I'm happy for you both." 
"I'm sorry?" You exclaimed. Your volume brought his eyes to yours. "Oh no, no, no. I forgot I said the... I don't love him like that C/n." 
"You don't?" 
"Of course not. He's my friend, my boss, I appreciate his presence but I don't love him." You shake your head. "You kind of got in there before he even stood a chance." 
"I w-what?" He stuttered. 
"That entry was from two days ago." You smile. "You are everything to me." 

He broke into overwhelming laughter of happiness, throwing his head back as he couldn't contain his blooming smile. You join, gleaming gazes say it all. 

Confessions were over. This was the start of everything. 

~

Hey, people or aliens, 

Finally got around to part two of this, though, I have to say I had no idea what p.t 2 was going to be until  I wrote it. I like it, it's fluffy. Most of them are now. 

Maybe I need to add some more angst back in. 

Thank you for reading, I appreciate you all. 
See you in the next part, 

I hope your day/night blooms like a smile.

~Brei