T W E N T Y S I X

I V Y

I should have locked the damn door because now I'm stuck in a room with my parents and Alex's parents.

It all happened cause I didn't realize people were in the house.

It was too late when I put on the sweater though and my immediate rush up the steps did little justice, especially considering I forgot to lock the door.

Now I'm sitting on the bed with my arms in Alex's sweatshirt pocket and Alex is sitting next to me holding my thigh.

"Where the hell do I even start?" His mom paces back and forth.

"Maybe start with a happy birthday?" I turn 22 today and nobody's told me happy birthday yet.

"Happy birthday" Alex whispers squeezing my thigh.

"Can somebody tell me what's going on?" My mom asks. So she doesn't know. I mean there's no point in hiding it.

I was planning on telling her soon but I just wanted Alex and I to enjoy this for ourselves.

I didn't know I'd show so soon.

"I'm pregnant" I can't read their faces though.

"I'm 22 and I know that's pretty young to have a baby but Alex and I are financially stable, we're engaged, we live together. I mean we meet the requirements and I love him and he loves me and it was an obvious accident, yeah but it was a good accident because we're both ready for it" I don't know why I felt the need to explain myself but I did.

"And you think you're ready for this?" My mom asks and I nod.

"You?" She looks at Alex and he nods
too.

"You're grown Ivy and I'm treating you like an adult. Just understand that a baby is another human life that you and Alex are both responsible for and both have to take care of." My mom is being nice? That's weird.

I feel like ever since my dad died my mom has just been a little more loose. She's on her third boyfriend of the year and it's may, he died like three months ago.

"I'd love to be a grandma too" His mom pitches in, this is going better than expected.

"I don't think either of you are ready. I think this is just irresponsible. You two are barely adults. I mean your football career is just starting how are you gonna do that with a kid? You're just gonna follow him around to every place he travels with a baby on hand Ivy?" He was the last person I expected to be upset but at the same time, this feels so hypocritical.

"Do you guys really think you're ready to have a kid?" Derrick asks with his arms crossed.

"Yes" Alex is ready me on the other hand, I'm just scared.

"Ivy?" His dad looks at me and I can't help but be quiet for a second.

"I will be" I do want a baby but they can't all just expect me to be 100% prepared for everything.

"Derrick you got me pregnant when I was 18 stop ridiculing them for something you did too" Camille glares at him.

Of course, because Alex's dad can't handle the truth he looks like he's about to storm off and that's just what he does, slamming the door as well.

This is going to be a long nine months.

Eventually, everyone leaves, letting me and Alex be in our own space.