38 - Ceremony

The question was simplistic to the extent that it took me by surprise. If Koenji wasn't the one raising this question, I wouldn't have treated the question with any seriousness.

"You're asking me to join you in Class A, so I don't cause you any trouble?"

"That's right, Ayanokoji-boy. I don't intend to waste my precious energy on this," he shared with me, honestly.

Therefore, you can conclude that he obliquely regards me as a threat, which is why he wants me to join Class A so that I do not cause any trouble in the future.

This makes perfect sense if you think about it a little more thoroughly. If he were to join Class A, the class would consist of three of the most qualified students in the entire grade: Koenji, Sakayanagi, and Siesta.

From the outside perspective, beating that class should be an imminent impossibility. In fact, even now, the combination of Siesta and Sakayanagi is powerful enough to outwit the vast majority.

"What you're saying makes sense, but do you genuinely believe the class won't pose a threat without me?"

Momentarily, he stopped combing his shiny blonde hair and gazed at me in silence. A few moments later, he erupted in laughter, which was understandable since the answer to that question was blatantly obvious to everyone but me.

"Hahahaha, defects such as these wouldn't pose a threat," he confidently declared.

There was no doubt in my mind that our current class would lose to Class A. Though the possibility of beating them is slim, it still existed. Students like Ike, and Shinohara may never come anywhere near the level of a Class A student, let alone the level of Sakayanagi, Siesta, or Koenji but they could still become Class A.

"I see. There's no need to make this decision now, right?" I asked after snapping out of my thoughts.

"You can think about it, Ayanokoji-boy."

Once these words left his mouth, he quickly disappeared, leaving me alone.

⸻⸻⸻⸻⸻⸻⸻⸻⸻⸻

21st January, 9:30 AM

Which option should I choose? Both options seem reasonable, but it was difficult to decide...

Standing in front of the freezer in the supermarket, holding my chin, I was compelled to reach a life-changing decision.

Vanilla or strawberry ice cream?

If I had to pick between the two, I'd probably say I prefer vanilla over strawberry marginally, but whenever I had ice cream lately, I always settled on vanilla, hence the notion of diversification crossed my mind.

What would Itsuki do in this situation? To think I'd ever think about this...

Having ultimately made up my mind, I gradually extended my arm to the handle of the freezer, opened it, and chose...

"Hello, Ayanokoji-kun," I heard a feminine voice greet me from my left, causing me to turn my head in this direction only to spot Miku looking at me.

"Oh, hello, Miku," I replied, stopping mid-motion.

"You're buying ice cream?"

"I indeed am. What about you?"

"I'm here to buy groceries. Do you mind if I tag along?"

"Oh, no, that's fine. I actually have a question."

"What is it?" she queried as she tilted her head in confusion.