49 - Valentine's Day Part 1

𝕦𝕚𝕟𝕥𝕦𝕡𝕝𝕖𝕥𝕤

9th February 5:30 PM

  "Who?"

Utterly clueless, I canted my head to the side, prompting Nino to be startled momentarily.

The girl at the graveyard? What is she talking about?

"The girl at the graveyard—"

"I heard you the first time, Nino," I interjected, leaving her perplexed as her jaw dropped.

"You..." she stuttered, her eyes slightly misty as she gazed at me in shock.

The sun was setting behind the campus buildings, casting an orange glow on the surroundings as Nino and I stood in the courtyard, surrounded by lush greenery. Despite the serene ambiance, the air was taut with uncertainty.

"Never mind. If what you just said is true, what did I say to you?"

As Nino had stressed the importance of the encounter, I wondered if there was a chance that she was telling the truth. I didn't remember meeting her before, but her specificity made me hesitate.

"You were saying some weird stuff. Talking about the rarity of becoming quintuplets or whatever. But you also asked me if I had loved ones," she quickly responded, racking her brain to recall my words.

"I did?" I queried, not asking her but rather myself as I cradled my chin with one hand.

Nino's eyebrows were knitted, and she seemed genuine and determined.

"Just make sure to protect your loved ones. That's what you said," she further elaborated, causing something within me to click.

I squinted my eyes, and maybe just for a second when she said that, I saw her instead of Nino's silhouette; the mocha-haired Ena.

Those words were similar, almost identical. So Nino was telling the truth.

How come I do not recall meeting her? Whatever.

"Why did you want to tell me that?"

"Why shouldn't I? I just wanted to let you know," she said, crossing her arms as a gust of wind blew past us, carrying the scent of her perfume.

"I see."

"Do you remember it?" she retorted in hope that I would answer "yes."

"I would be lying if I said I did," I honestly answered, shrugging my shoulders.

The whistling of the wind filled the momentary hush as she opened her mouth again.

"I love you."

Out of the blue, she just uttered that, an absolute resolve behind her words as she maintained eye contact.

What connection does this have related to this...?

"You heard it, right?" she questioned, her will unyielding as she exuded confidence, "I love you. Ever since that day."

She seemed vulnerable at that moment as if she were laying all her cards on the table and waiting to see what I would do with them. Despite myself, I felt a pang of compassion for her.

Or at least I think so.

Since she confessed, it's only appropriate to give her my response, right?

"So—"

"I don't need to hear your answer immediately!" she interrupted, grabbing me by my sleeves.

Abashment was printed on her features as she realized the enormity of what she had just stated.