47 - Mother

𝕦𝕚𝕟𝕥𝕦𝕡𝕝𝕖𝕥𝕤

    "What do you say when you're grateful?" My mother prompted, her voice tinged with a hint of impatience as she forced a fake smile to her lips.

She stood with her arms crossed, her eyes boring into me as my aunt watched from across the room, her gaze curious and expectant.

I couldn't help but feel a swell of frustration and aversion bubbling up inside me. "Why should I be grateful? Life has never given me anything of value," I reasoned with myself.

Why should I feign joy at obtaining something I never longed for?

"Bleh!"

With a scowl on my face, I stuck out my tongue at my mother and aunt—who couldn't hold back her snickering.

𝕦𝕚𝕟𝕥𝕦𝕡𝕝𝕖𝕥𝕤

17th November 8:30 PM, 2006

As sweat drops trickled down my face, Matsuo—the butler Atsuomi hired—opened the door for me while I leaned against the door frame.

    "I appreciate your help, Matsuo," I enunciated as he aided me to my hospital bed.

    "That's the least I can do."

Albeit I loathed every action of Atsuomi, this was the only favorable decision he had undertaken: to hire Matsuo. I encounter him only occasionally, but I can tell he is proficient at his job.

"Ayaka-sama, you are getting a new roommate, if that is fine with you," announced Matsuo suddenly while sporting a warm smile.

Upon hearing this news, my eyes sparkled with joy, and my back posture straightened as I sat in bed.

"Of course, that's fine with me," I answered, with a tone, demonstrating that I was looking forward to the arrival of my new roommate.

Matsuo, covering his mouth, snickered at my child-like reaction, and thereafter, he closed the window since the room had been ventilated with cold, and crisp air.

"Your roommate will arrive soon."

Once intoning those words, he respectfully cowered his head to me while wearing a suit. He excused himself and exited the room.

Soon, huh?

Using my fingertips, I gently groomed my tangled long hair while observing the landscape out the window, submerging myself in my innermost musings.

The reason I was so excited was that this was not an ordinary hospital, but one where only a handful of patients were accommodated.

Fundamentally, it is like a private school; only a select few attend that school because it is deemed "prestigious" and you pay extra for it.

It was no different from this hospital; it was located somewhere far away from any city. It was not my preference to be sent to this hospital, it was that man's.

Since I had no one to interact with, I was logically thrilled to acquire a roommate.

A sudden gentle knock on the door clattered against my eardrums, inducing me to suspend my musings.

Was it Matsuo again?

"May I enter?" asked the individual standing at the other end. It was not Matsuo, for it was a feminine adult voice.

My eyelids dilated, and the panic and agitation within me awakened and rushed through my veins like blood.

Already?!