☾hapter VII

No sooner had we arrived than the Colossal Titan destroyed the batteries. There was no longer any doubt; a human controlled this titan. But who ?

I clenched my jaw and narrowed my eyes at the towering Colossal Titan.

Without wasting a moment, I took the lead. We had no choice but to eliminate this colossal threat to humanity.

Turning to Eren, I urged," Eren ! I'll distract it. Take care of its weak point. This is a unique opportunity to stop this menace once and for all".

Eren nodded in understanding. I swiftly planted my grapple into its shoulder and swung in front of the titan. In response, it raised its arm in an attempt to catch me. Its movements were painfully sluggish.

I spotted Eren swinging around behind it

I spotted Eren swinging around behind it. I gave him a nod, signaling that the time was now.

But just before he could reach the Titan's vulnerable neck, a sudden cloud of steam enveloped the area.

" What the hell ?!". I muttered to myself.

It appeared that while the Colossal Titan was undoubtedly slow, it possessed a defensive advantage-this ability to release steam as a shield. It must have trained extensively to master this technique.

" Eren ! Are you alright ?!". I called out anxiously, but received no immediate response, causing a surge of worry within me.

Damn it ! I hope the steam didn't harm him too much, I thought nervously.

" Go !". Eren's voice cut through the tension, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

As the steam dissipated, Eren and I exchanged horrified glances. The Colossal Titan had vanished again, leaving us both baffled and frustrated. I still had no memory of its identity. Yet, when I confronted it with the question, 'Who are you ?' it appeared genuinely surprised.

Perhaps the most unsettling aspect of this situation is that the individual within the nape of the neck is aware that I'm closing in on their identity. Given this knowledge, they might be inclined to take extreme measures to silence me permanently. Vigilance will become my constant companion from this point onward.

Once I'm part of the Survey Corps, I'll share my findings with my superiors. It seems like the safer route, especially considering they all embarked beyond the walls earlier today. This leaves the primary suspects within the Garrison, the Military Police, and, reluctantly, within the 104th Training Corps.

Although I find it difficult to believe in the last option. How could someone who spent three years living among us feign ignorance ?

Regrettably, my circle of suspicion remains quite broad. I'll need to dedicate further thought to narrowing it down.

We stood in stunned silence atop the wall, taking in the aftermath for a few moments.

" Did you avoid getting burned, Eren ?". I inquired, my concern for him evident.