☾hapter XLI

Today marked the long-awaited departure for our mission to reclaim Wall Maria. Just two hours prior to leaving, I decided to pay a visit to the cemetery, where my parents' graves had been lovingly tended to a few months ago. The news of our mission had been delivered by Hange that day, but I hadn't mustered the courage to visit until now.

Accompanying me was Kenny, a man of few words who understood the value of silence. As we walked, the quietude between us felt oddly comforting, and I had no inclination to break it.

Eren, Mikasa, Armin, Connie, Sasha, and Jean could have joined me, but observing them engrossed in their final preparations, I couldn't bring myself to ask them to accompany me.

Upon reaching the cemetery's entrance, Kenny halted, and I cast a curious glance at him.

" I'll wait for you here". Kenny said, his hand resting on my shoulder.

I nodded, clutching a bouquet of flowers close to my chest.

I strolled slowly through the cemetery until I reached my parents' graves. I gazed at them for a moment before gently placing the bouquet of flowers upon them.

" Hey, Mom, Dad... I'm sorry it took me so long to visit. Today, we embark on a mission to reclaim Wall Maria. I prefer not to be dramatic, but I wanted to settle everything on my mind before departing, to avoid any regrets. 

These past few months have been chaotic, as you probably know...". My voice trailed off, heavy with sorrow.

I sighed, watching the sun dip below the horizon. Erwin's fate dominated my thoughts when I considered this mission, but why couldn't I remember anything else ? Could I truly cling to that glimmer of hope ? To be honest, I was uncertain.

" I miss you... I promise to give my all to ensure the success of this mission". I whispered, my hands resting on the graves.

I didn't know if they could hear me, but the sensation of speaking to them brought comfort, dispelling some of my sadness. Even if it was a monologue, I could imagine their smiles and the words they might say in response.

With one last look at their graves, I made my way back to Kenny.

Upon my return, I found him gazing absentmindedly at the sky before turning his attention to me.

" Are you alright ?". Kenny inquired.

I nodded and said," Thank you for coming with me".

" It's no trouble, little wolf". He replied, patting my head.

" Let's go; we'll likely depart soon, and the sun is already setting". I said, though my smile appeared more strained than genuine.

I began to walk, and I heard Kenny let out a small sigh before joining my side. After a few minutes, we rejoined the others.

Most of the soldiers atop the wall were bustling about, finalizing preparations. I spotted Mikasa, Eren, and Armin standing together, watching the setting sun.

" Hey, Izzy ! Where were you ?". Armin asked, a smile spreading across his face.

Mikasa and Eren offered me a gentle smile.

" I went to visit my parents' graves". I replied.

The trio regarded me with sadness in their eyes.

" We could've come to get you if you wanted". Eren said, squeezing my hand, and Mikasa nodded.

I shook my head, reassuring them," Thanks, but I needed to speak to them alone".

" At least you weren't alone, right ? Did you encounter any trouble or rude individuals ?". Mikasa's voice trailed off, her concern evident.