☾hapter XXXI

Third person POV :

After Erwin's plan succeeded, the demise of the old regime was officially declared. This proclamation occurred immediately following the Military Police's seizure of control over the Capital, right at the site where the gallows had been erected for the intended execution of the Commander of the Survey Corps.

A gathering of concerned citizens formed around Nile, eager for more insight into the unfolding events.

" So, you're suggesting this coup was executed because King Fritz's government obstructed crucial plans essential for humanity's survival and was willing to sacrifice half the population for their own safety ?". Inquired a man from the crowd.

" Exactly. And, as General Zackly's proclamation conveyed, our objective isn't military rule within the walls. The recent edition of the Berg newspaper has uncovered that the Fritz family isn't the true royal bloodline guiding humanity throughout the years. We've learned that the genuine royal family is in hiding.

With the escalating Titan attacks and growing mistrust between the people and their leaders, humanity is in grave danger. Our duty as soldiers is to shield the people from the Titan threat with unwavering determination. 

Therefore, it is our responsibility to collaborate with the true royal family, reinstating their rightful place as humanity's leaders and earning the people's trust. Feel free to ask questions. Those who used to give speeches are now behind bars". Nile elaborated.

" This is indeed positive news for us. I believe the Berg's extra edition has emboldened many, especially those in the media. In that regard, the decision to preserve the current system of governance appears prudent. 

But...do you genuinely believe the true bloodline can effortlessly replace the Fritz monarchy in the hearts and minds of the people ?". Questioned another man.

Nile's eyes widened, and he felt a twinge of nervousness at this query.

" Now, all we know is chaos. We are adrift, unsure of what to strive for or what to believe in anymore". The same man added.

Everything he said was true. Among the population, emotions ran the gamut, from relief at King Fritz's removal to sorrow and a sense of betrayal for having placed faith in a government that had tyrannized its citizens for its own gain.

Erwin joined Zackly in a carriage after overhearing the people's conversations.

" The best course for humanity might have been to leave everything with the old monarchy. However flawed and selfish they may have been, they kept the Titans at bay and kept humanity alive until now. 

Even if they were willing to let half of the surviving humans perish...that might have been preferable to the extinction of all humanity. Maybe we should have entrusted them with everything—Eren's Titan power, Anelise's memories, the recapture of Wall Maria, even Eren's life. 

These past few days, my thoughts have been with my friends. When I think of all of humanity, maybe I should have let my comrades die, as I always have. Anelise, Eren, Levi, Hange...I could have abandoned them, along with my life and duty, and placed everything in the hands of the crown. If humanity is genuinely more valuable than any individual life...". Erwin trailed off.

A moment of silence hung in the air before Zackly finally spoke," Your mission remains as harrowing as ever. Death seems like an easier choice".

" Sir, why did you choose to lead us down this perilous path ?". Erwin inquired.

" Let me pose a question in return. Why did you confide in Pixis ? If your intention was to hand over Eren and Anelise and step down...why plant that notion in Pixis's mind ? Why allow your subordinates to act independently ?". Zackly questioned.