☾hapter XVII

The following day arrived unexpectedly fast as we found ourselves in the heart of the Stohess district, accompanied by Armin, with one sole purpose : to lure Annie.

Mikasa had vehemently opposed my decision to tail Armin, but our options were severely limited if we wanted to persuade her to join us. So, we waited in the shadows of a narrow alley for what seemed like an eternity, until finally, a group of Military Police soldiers passed by. I gently nudged Armin, drawing his attention to their presence.

As Annie came into our view, Armin and I exchanged a significant nod. It was now or never.

" Annie...". Armin whispered loudly, causing her to halt in her tracks, waiting for her fellow comrades to leave the vicinity.

Once they were gone, she turned and headed toward the small alley where Armin and I were concealed.

" Hey there. You're part of the Military Police now, aren't you ?". Armin inquired, doing his best to mask his nervousness.

I chimed in with a nervous smile," How have you been ?".

Annie's eyes widened in recognition as she looked at us," Armin... Anelise".

We both smiled, attempting to conceal our true emotions behind the facade.

" Why are you dressed like that ?". Annie inquired, her eyes narrowing suspiciously.

" We're pack bearers. Our 3D Maneuver Gear is hidden under these raincoats. Take a look". Armin replied.

Armin and I revealed our concealed gear, which surprised Annie for a moment.

" What's going on ?". She asked, her curiosity piqued.

" Annie, could you help us with getting Eren out of here ?". I asked, getting straight to the point.

Annie stared at us in disbelief," Escape to where ? If you defy the monarchy, where will you go within these walls ?".

" We'll lay low for a while. We don't plan to confront the monarchy head-on. It'll be portrayed as a rebellion by a faction of the Survey Corps. This will buy us time to secure enough ammunition to counter the other factions at the tribunal, and we will find it". Armin explained.

Annie frowned," Enough ammunition just lying around? Do you have any evidence ?".

" I'm sorry, but I can't disclose that". Armin said.

" Sorry, but I can't assist you. I won't report this, but you'll have to figure it out on your own". Annie retorted, beginning to walk away.

I couldn't let her go like that without another try.

" Annie! Please ! Eren will be killed !". I whispered desperately.

Annie stopped, her back still turned. I had managed to make her reconsider, a sigh of relief escaping me.

" People who only care about saving their own skin will inadvertently lead humanity towards self-destruction ! I know I can't convince you, but even so, I'm willing to take a huge risk ! Of course, I'll do my best to avoid causing you any trouble.

But to pass through the checkpoints in Wall Sina, we need the help of the Military Police! It's the only way !". Armin continued to plead.

" Armin, Izzy... Do I really seem like such a good person to you ?". Annie asked, her question carrying an undertone of complexity.

I frowned at her question. When we trained together, she never really called me 'Izzy'. I sensed there was more to this question than met the eye.

" I don't know if anyone can claim to be a perfect, good person. We all have our flaws. Annie, I don't think you're inherently a bad person. I believe there's more to you than meets the eye". I replied, my eyes narrowing meaningfully.