☾hapter LXX

Third person POV : 

The search for Eren yielded no results; the soldiers returned empty-handed, finding no trace of him. To compound the Survey Corps' anxiety, a report arrived from Hannes, indicating Anelise's mysterious disappearance.

" Over a hundred soldiers, including Floch Forster, have vanished from their confinement... along with the guards assigned to watch them. We believe they orchestrated Eren's escape and deserted". Declared Nile.

The room fell into a tense silence as they absorbed the gravity of the situation.

" They are undoubtedly responsible for the Commander-in-Chief's assassination as well. Anelise Pierce has gone missing. This clandestine, anti-military faction shall be known as the Jaegerists. Commander, do you comprehend their objectives ?". Nile inquired of Hange.

" I suspect their sole purpose now is to reunite Zeke, Anelise, and Eren. They intend to reshape the military, placing Eren and Anelise at the helm, whether she consents or not. Sadly, I can't fathom Anelise's condition or what transpired. 

As for Eren and Zeke, they assassinated the Commander-in-Chief to demonstrate their resolve". Hange explained.

" But how did these Jaegerists manage to organize so swiftly ? For them to rally behind Eren, many soldiers must believe Zeke is supporting them". Roeg interjected.

" They have unwavering faith in Eren, who, in turn, believes in Zeke and Anelise. Meanwhile, our doubts about Zeke have immobilized us. If it is true that the Eldian people have no choice but to rely on the Jaeger brothers and Anelise to enact change, then it was us in the military who squandered precious time, jeopardizing Eldian lives. 

It's no wonder many soldiers felt that way. The final straw was the military's plan to transfer the Founding Titan from Eren to another soldier without even informing us in the Survey Corps. I even heard you want to ensure Anelise remains in a coma". Hange replied.

" We knew precisely what would happened...". Nile muttered in frustration.

Mikasa remained silent, her expression a testament to her suppressed fury.

" If we had informed you, let alone that many Jaegerists are from the Survey Corps, how will you shoulder that responsibility, Commander Hange ?". Roeg challenged.

" I will accept any consequences, but resigning my commission would be the most irresponsible act at this juncture. Furthermore, we don't even know how many hidden Jaegerists are among us or in which branch they serve". Hange asserted.

Roeg scrutinized them, his eyes narrowed," Yes, some may be among us right now. I wouldn't be surprised if one of you detonated a suicide bomb this very instant".

" Roeg, that's absurd". Nile reprimanded.

" How can they prove otherwise ? Until they demonstrate their loyalty, we can't afford to let the Survey Corps roam freely". Roeg insisted sternly.

Their argument was abruptly interrupted as the door swung open.

" Enough. We have a visitor. This is not the time for internal disputes. Hange, how many soldiers know where Zeke is being held ?". Pixis inquired.

" Levi and the 32 soldiers guarding Zeke, plus three responsible for resupply and communication, and myself". Hange replied.

" Then bring those three here. Nile, is the Queen's residence secure ?". Pixis inquired.

" Only a select few are privy to its location, but I'll double-check". Nile confirmed.

" Eren's first target will be someone who knows Zeke's whereabouts. We must intensify the search for Anelise Pierce. We don't know if she's still in a coma or awake, but she's currently vulnerable—an easy target.