☾hapter XIII

The following day, I awoke in my bed, my eyes widening as the realization of what had transpired hit me like a ton of bricks. Oh my God, I fell asleep while talking to Levi... How incredibly rude of me.

Glancing out of the window, it appeared to be around six in the morning, still quite early. I hastened to freshen up and donned my Survey Corps uniform with a sense of urgency.

Descending to the main room, where just yesterday we had shared tea with the squad, I was taken aback to find Hange and Eren engaged in conversation. Wait, could it be that they hadn't slept all night ? My gaze shifted to Eren's weary face, confirming my suspicion.

 Wait, could it be that they hadn't slept all night ? My gaze shifted to Eren's weary face, confirming my suspicion

" Eren, Hange ?". I called out to them.

" Oh, Anelise ! Good morning !". Hange replied enthusiastically.

I walked over to Eren and gently rested his head on my shoulder.

" I shouldn't have asked Izzy". He whispered to me in a tired tone.

I couldn't help but chuckle at his remark. Poor guy, if only I had known, I would have intervened to let him get some rest.

" It's a good thing you're joining us, Anelise ! We were just getting to the best part !". Hange exclaimed with unabated enthusiasm.

At least Hange was still as energetic as ever. Eren, on the other hand, had fallen asleep almost instantly.

" Tell me everything". I urged Hange, hoping to divert their attention so that Eren could catch a few moments of sleep.

" So, as I was saying, let me recap and add my personal speculations as we go along, starting with the Titans...". Hange's voice trailed off, anticipation filling the room.

However, Hange never got to finish the 'best part' as Moblit burst through the door, jolting Eren awake.

I had met Moblit briefly before I left with Squad Levi.

" Is Squad Leader Hange here ?!". Moblit exclaimed with an urgent tone.

Hange looked at Moblit, a questioning expression on their face.

" The experimental subjects... Both Titans have been killed !". Moblit reported.

Eren, Hange, and I exchanged shocked glances at Moblit's startling revelation.

It didn't take long for Hange to storm out of the room, leaving Eren and me wondering what to do next. Just then, Levi entered the room, casting a stern gaze in our direction.

" We're going too". Levi said, his eyes narrowing.

" Yes, sir !". Eren and I replied simultaneously.

In haste, Eren and I readied our horses. On the way, Levi ordered Eren to don his hood. It was a wise decision; Eren was better off not being recognized.

As we reached the town, we discovered that the two captured Titans had been lost. Regardless of our thoughts on the matter, it was undoubtedly a significant setback for humanity.