Jean Ending

Three years had elapsed since the fateful day known as the Battle of Heaven and Earth. The survivors, bearing the weight of countless lost lives, still bore the unhealed scars as a constant reminder.

Amidst the world's enduring suffering, their worst fears had manifested. The Nation of Eldia had forged an army under the control of the Jaegerists, who now dedicated themselves to bolstering their military might.

Haunted by the specter of retribution from humanity's remnants across the sea, the island resounded with a unified cry. Victory means life. Defeat means death. Without fighting, victory remains elusive. These words echoed resolutely. The struggle persisted, a relentless contest, until either Eldia or the world itself vanished.

Eren's proclamation lingered in the air, his choice to depart from this realm now resting in our hands. And here we are, living on. A world without Titans has become our reality.

Within the ranks of the Survey Corps, Armin had ascended to the role of 15th Commander, succeeding Hange. Following the aftermath of the battle, they willingly yielded their position to Armin. 

While continuing to lend support during negotiations with Erwin, they chose to savor life a little more. Levi and Kenny transitioned into a peaceful existence within a town, the novelty of a life without conflict unfolding for the first time. Gabi and Falco dutifully cared for them.

As for Historia, she blossomed into a mother, her joyful daughter bearing a striking resemblance. I took pleasure in visiting and engaging in playtime with the little one.

I've also had a bit more of a chance to explain what happened before I woke up here... What I'd told Eren. Even if there wasn't much to say, given that most of my memories from my past life have faded over time.

Mikasa, however, sought solace within the tranquility of her own abode, seeking respite from the world's tumult. Armin, her and me erected a small grave for Eren, a conduit for us to communicate with his memory. Regrettably, our search for his body yielded no results.

Yet, an uncanny sensation persisted—a feeling that Eren lingered, somewhere, somehow. Ymir's words about sinners and retribution echoed in my thoughts. Was this his fate, and if so, for how long ?

Armin's voice disrupted my contemplation as he shared the contents of a letter from Historia," In a world without Titans". He announced.

Reiner seized the letter, his countenance radiant," Historia's elegant handwriting never ceases to amaze. It even carries a pleasant scent".

" Gross". I muttered.

Jean sighed, scrutinizing his reflection in a mirror," How many times do I have to tell you to not lust after a married woman ? Creep".

" Your concern about your appearance is rather conspicuous too, Jean. Trying to impress someone ?". Pieck quipped.

" Indeed, my lovely fiancée". Jean asserted, bestowing a kiss upon my hand and then on my lips.

" I'll never get accustomed to this... my sister with him". Connie mumbled.

" Save it for when you're alone". Sasha interjected.

I chuckled, gazing at them before enveloping Jean in a hug. A year ago, Jean's proposal took me by surprise. Just three months after the Battle's end, we commenced to date. I vividly recall his stumbling attempts to ask me out. According to Connie and Sasha, he rehearsed his speech for over two hours before mustering the courage to approach me.

" It was just a kiss, no need to react like that, guys, right, J ?". I asked with a grin.

Jean nodded, a smile tugging at his lips," Yeah, that's right".

Reiner scoffed," I swear you're making yourself even prettier for horse-guiding duty".

" It's a damn shame you got a new lease on life, Reiner". Jean retorted.

The conversation was abruptly halted as Annie walked into the room.

" Paradis is within sight now. Erwin and Hange are probably waiting for us at the harbor. But, Armin, do you really think this is going to work ? We destroyed the walls. We betrayed the island. Eren disappeared because of us.

A man revered by the people of Eldia... And we're the allied nations' ambassadors for peace talks ?". Annie wondered aloud.

" Personally... I wouldn't be surprised if they sank our ship right here". Pieck stated with a hint of irritation.

" We should believe in Queen Historia". Sasha asserted.

Connie nodded in agreement," Her Majesty's first move was to protect Jean's relatives and my mom... I know she'll defend us, too".

" Us weak little things". Annie muttered under her breath.

" Annie... Conflict will never truly vanish. But... when they see all of us together like this... They'll have to want to hear our story. They'll want to know why those who tried to kill each other for so long have come to Paradis...

To advocate for peace. They'll want to know what we've seen. Let's tell them everything". Armin declared.

" Right, let's do that. But before we arrive, I intend to enjoy some peaceful time with my fiancée". Jean chimed in, taking my hand.

" I swear you love that word too much, Jean !". Sasha exclaimed after us.

We started walking until we reached the ship's deck, ready to enjoy the view.

" I always love looking at the sea. It's truly beautiful". I murmured.

I felt him wrap his arms around me from behind, his lips planting a soft kiss on my cheek.

" I know someone more beautiful than the sea, and she's right here in my arms". Jean whispered.

I chuckled, my cheeks turning a shade pink," What a flirt... But thank you, darling".

Taking a deep breath of the fresh air, I spoke again.

" Jean...". I murmured.

" What is it ?". Jean inquired.

" I love you. Thank you for showing me what real happiness is". I confessed.

His eyes widened, and then a bashful smile played on his lips," All of a sudden ? Well... Um... You know, you're the one who taught me what real happiness feels like. You know, Marco once told me he was convinced I'd spend my life with you".

" What ? Really ?". I asked, genuinely surprised.

" Heh. He wasn't wrong. You were the first one to make my heart race like this". Jean replied.

I squeezed his arm, a smile of pure contentment on my face. Then, my gaze shifted upward, and I spotted a bird gracefully soaring in the sky. Its feather gently drifted down, caressing my face before landing on Jean's arm. A serene sense of peace washed over me.