☾hapter LXVIII

Third person POV : 

The three children finally arrived at the house where Kaya and her family lived. It was a sprawling farm nestled amidst rolling hills, with horses grazing in the lush pastures and towering mountains in the distance. Kaya paused to appraise her two guests.

" Wait here for just a minute". Kaya instructed.

Falco nodded, his expression a mix of uncertainty and anticipation. Gabi remained silent, her mind already devising a plan. Kaya disappeared into the house.

Seeing that no one was around, Gabi approached the fence enclosing the horses.

" We can use one of these horses to escape". Gabi proposed.

" What are you talking about ?". Falco inquired.

" We might have killed that jailer, but they'll soon realize we're gone. We need to leave this area". Gabi insisted.

Falco let out a weary sigh," It'll be just as easy for them to find us if we move recklessly. I'm sure they have farmhands here. We can ask them to house us for a few days".

" I can't bear the thought of sharing a meal with these devils". Gabi replied, her voice seething with disdain.

" Listen". Falco began, but his words trailed off as the door behind him creaked open.

" Come in". Kaya's voice beckoned.

Gabi and Falco hesitantly walked towards the house. Falco leaned closer to Gabi, his voice a hushed whisper.

" I'll do all the talking. Just don't say anything foolish". He cautioned.

Upon entering the main room, a rustic wooden dining area, Gabi and Falco surveyed the occupants. Besides Kaya, there were two adults, their weary expressions betraying the weight of their years, and a group of younger adults gathered around the table.

" So, you kids ran away from home ? What's troubling you ?". The older man inquired, his South Marleyan accent surprising Gabi.

" Nice to meet you ! We're siblings—Ben and Mia. Some things happened, and we had to run away from our parents. If there's anything we can do, we'll do it. Please, let us stay here for just a few days". Falco explained with a humble bow.

He gently nudged Gabi's head down, prompting her to bow as well.

" Cut that out. No child should bow their head like that. You're welcome here at the Braus stables. Stay as many days as you need. Now come, have some breakfast". The man warmly welcomed them.

" Thank you very much !". Falco responded with genuine gratitude.

Gabi and Falco joined the others at the table, where the lady of the house served them food. She reached out to pat Gabi's head, offering a gentle smile.

" You must be tired. After you finish eating, you should rest". She suggested softly.

Gabi trembled, her vacant eyes betraying the trauma she had experienced with the Eldians since she arrived. Without thinking, she slapped the lady's hand away, shocking everyone in the room.

The man placed a reassuring hand on his wife's shoulder," Lisa, this child...".

" Sorry... You must've been through a lot". Lisa said, understanding dawning in her eyes.

" No". Gabi murmured softly.

Falco patted Gabi's back, trying to defuse the tension," Apologies for my little sister's behavior. Thank you for the food ! It's delicious ! We appreciate it".

With some hesitation, Gabi picked up her spoon and began to eat. Kaya watched them with a suspicious gaze as she continued her meal.

At the harbor, ambassadors had just arrived, and this time, they were welcomed by none other than Darius Zackly.