☾hapter XXI

Third person POV :

Trost District :

Upon the wall, Commander Pixis was lounging, deep in his bottles atop the towering structure. His inebriation had reached such a point that he had succumbed to slumber amidst the backdrop of the relentless night.

" Commander". Anka's voice called out as she approached him.

Anka tried again, repeating his name, but he remained unresponsive, locked in the embrace of an alcohol-induced reverie.

" Commander Pixis, please wake up". She said with a sigh before resorting to a gentle slap on his cheek," You'll catch your death of cold out here".

Pixis groaned and rubbed his throbbing temple where Anka's slap had landed. With a curious glance, she stooped down to survey the multitude of empty bottles that lay scattered around him.

" How in the world did you manage to consume this much ? You're no spring chicken, Commander. I'd rather not find myself changing your diapers in the not-so-distant future". Anka teased.

" I wouldn't mind being bedridden if it meant a fine young lady like yourself taking care of me. Now, what's the situation ?". Pixis inquired, raising another bottle to his lips.

" We dispatched troops to scout beyond the walls after the Titans ceased their relentless assaults on our primary and secondary defense lines". Anka explained, her tone tinged with concern.

" Hmm," Pixis mused, sipping from the bottle as he contemplated," If Hannes's advance party safely traversed the walls, they should be returning by now".

Anka held an empty bottle, her brow furrowing with uncertainty," But if they encountered the team from Krova halfway and doubled back, they would have encountered Titans along the way. That would be impossible if there truly was a breach in the wall".

" Commander Pixis !". Erwin's voice rang out as he landed on the wall.

Pixis turned to Erwin, placing a hand on his shoulder," Ah, Erwin, I hear we've caught one of our elusive mice".

" Yes, but we fell one step short". Erwin replied, his voice heavy with frustration.

" Nonetheless, I'm sure our comrades within the inner circle have a lot to ponder now. They must decide if they're willing to die alongside their archaic traditions". Pixis retorted, his gaze drifting toward the Military Police Brigade soldiers stationed below, their horses at the ready.

" Are there truly no Titans here ?". Jean queried incredulously.

" It appears so. It's unusually quiet". A soldier remarked.

" I hope our comrades are alright". Jean muttered, his worry evident.

" Hey, Levi ! Where's our Titan hunt ?". A soldier asked with an impudent grin.

Levi, seated in a cart with the priest, shot a withering glare at the inquirer from the Military Police.

" What ? Disappointed that I couldn't serve up some Titans for you ? Luck might not be on your side this time, but there will be plenty of opportunities to meet them beyond these walls". Levi replied with a hint of sardonic amusement.

 Levi replied with a hint of sardonic amusement