Chapter 6 | PHASE ONE: Torn

DYLAN ||

The rest of the morning went by in a blur. Pack business going by quickly, ironing out issues left and right and prepping things for my absence to attend the monthly Alpha meeting hosted by King Kano.

I've been avoiding my Dad and uncle Jake all day seeing how they were pissed off with the building alterations they were doing for our nightclub in Ethos City — a  city located in unclaimed territory, owned by the Werewolf Council and full of businesses owned and operated by the various packs on this side of the state.

They've been bitching and moaning about some feline ruining the paint job on the exterior of the club and then refusing the fix the shit after he was at fault for the mixup with the paint color.

Just another reason why Raiden probably wouldn't fit within my pack.

Between the issues that my Dad and uncle Jake have with felines, the issues that I've had with them, the injuries and losses that my pack has suffered from them and the rogue wolf attacks — it just seems like a big decision to welcome my mate into my pack.

I mean the Moon Goddess sees our lives from the time that we're born until the day that we die — she knows how much I've craved the love that my mate could bring that would drive all of my stress away.

She knows how much I've wanted to be loved, how rejected I've felt in the past, how much love I have to give.

She knows how much I've wanted my mate for so damn long, having to endure all the mated couples in my pack — watching their sickening happiness only for my bed to be so cold and fucking lonely at night.

Every night for the past twenty three years until yesterday when I got the first glimpse of what could be my happiness — only for it to be crushed when I found out that mate is not only a man but a feline.

I know I can't reject him and to be completely fucking honest — it scares me to even think about it.

The bond was already flourishing, his warmth getting to me, the distance between our souls right now, killing me slowly.

No matter how much I try to fight it, there's this urge, this crazy strong force — pulling me back to him, wanting to be wrapped into him, to feel his body against mine again.

And that shit scared me to death.

What am I going to do?

Rubbing my forehead, attempting to massage the stress away, I try to focus on the task at hand.

I had a ton of paperwork to get through today. More pack transfers had come in, I needed to speak to the Alpha King about taking out a loan from the Kingdom and above all — I needed a damn distraction from my mind constantly shifting back to Raiden.

Unfortunately for me, the headaches just don't stop when you're the Alpha of an entire pack.

"Come in." I call out as the knocking on my office door had become all but pleasant and in walks my parents.

Fuck man, this is just what I need. My Dad breathing down my neck and my Mom being overly dramatic of every little situation that seemed difficult.

Why were they even in my packhouse? On the Alpha floor? Just walking around. . .

"Mom, Dad," I bow my head respectfully, getting up from my chair behind my desk and making my way over to them. "How are you?"