Chapter 22 | PHASE TWO: Lies

RAIDEN ||

Tearing my gaze away from Dylan, I look to my brother and frown as I see him also glaring at Dylan, so I tighten my grip on his hand and when he looks back at me, it's with confusion and frustration behind his gaze instead of acceptance and love.

"Brother, their Alpha is your mate?" Rome asks and I nod. "That man, over there, is your blessing and you are happy about your pairing?"

I nod again. "Yes, Rome, he is my blessing and I'm very, very happy with who the Sun God has blessed me with." I lied.

Man I'm a terrible liar and Roman knew it.

That's when he narrows his eyes at me. "And yet here you are riddled in bruises," Rome growls and I swallow, my eyes nervously a hitting between his as I try to gauge his reactions. "You look like nothing but fucking bones, someone abused you and I want you to tell me who right now because you said that this pack helped you, so is that the truth or did someone here hurt you because so help me Goddess, I will rip this pack apart!" He roars, his jaw clenching as he waits for my answer.

So I bite my bottom lip, trying my best to come up with something that would make sense instead of telling him the truth because the truth would break his heart and if Roman ever found out what's really transpired these past three weeks, he would surely reject his mate and become a depressed version of himself and I did not want that.

"Roman." The softness to my voice I could tell was breaking his heart as this was not who I am. "The pack here isn't to blame for what you see. They helped me, I'm healing because of them."

There was a chorus of audible gulps and shifting of feet throughout the hospital room fill our senses as Roman's eyes narrow even more at me.

My jaw clenches at I hold his gaze, but I could tell from the way that he was looking at me, that Roman could tell that I was lying.

I'm a terrible liar — I always have been and our bond is too strong for me to try and get over on him, especially with something like this but despite all of those obvious things, I keep going, hoping that something would stick.

"Dylan's pack found me on their borders a few days ago," I explain, a glint of hope behind my eyes but I couldn't stop my fear from flooding our bond. "I've been here in their pack hospital, healing."

When Roman stays stoic, I study him for awhile and we silently observe each other as felines do before reacting and when he shakes his head — I frown.

Fuck — he doesn't believe me.

"No brother," Rome growls, his anger rippling through our bond. "I've felt our bond for the past week. There's no way that you've only been here a few days. Please tell me the truth." He begs me, grabbing my hands and holding them to his chest. "Please."

That's when I sigh, a nervous breath because I didn't know what else to do. "I'm telling you the truth, Rome. I haven't been here longer than a few days, I promise." My eyes pleading for him to buy into my bullshit but I could tell that he wasn't buying it, not one bit.

Roman knew that I was lying and I knew that he knew, I just wouldn't admit it and when he says nothing, I rush another spew of lies.

"Your mate is the one who found me actually and he called for help," My words spill out faster than I thought they would and then I gesture towards the wolves in the room. "Garrett and Theo came and helped carry me here, that's when Dylan came to check on the leopard that his wolves found on their border and I found out that he was my mate a few days ago." I explain, never tearing my gaze from his.

Roman shakes his head again — this time, subtly to let me know that he still didn't believe me.

I'm such a terrible fucking liar but I knew that was one of the things that Roman loved the most about me.