Chapter 16 | PHASE ONE: Close call

DYLAN ||

Sitting in the large feline's hospital room, I couldn't help but notice the similarities between him and Raiden.

I didn't know if it was because they were both felines or what but it was driving me nuts. I couldn't take my eyes off the man since I walked into this hospital room.

I hadn't spent any time with the other Lion shifter, Reland before my pack captured him and Raiden, so I didn't know if he held the same similarities as Roman did but boy I'll tell you what — Raiden and Roman could practically be twins with how much they resembled each other.

And it wasn't just looks either — His aura, his strength, his power, his looks and something about his scent almost matched Raiden's to the point where I was second guessing my actions and a little fearful that he might be related to my mate.

The last thing I needed was a fully matured Lion shifter running amuck throughout my pack, so I open the link to Gabe and speak up about my suspicions.

"Gabe, I need you to ask this feline about his family, something just doesn't feel right." — I tell him through the link and he glances my way.

"What doesn't feel right?" — He questions, sending me another look that I couldn't decipher.

"The feline looks and smells just like Raiden to me, it's weird, I don't know, I just can't figure it out and I need you to ask him about his family." — I explain the situation carefully and Gabe nods, looking back at the Lion.

Calling his name multiple names, Roman never responded then Gabe went to snap his fingers in front of the guy's face and he still didn't answer as if he was stuck in deep thought, but when Hunter calls out to him, the guy snaps out of whatever the fuck he was caught up in.

"Rome," Looking up from the blanket draped across his legs that had caught his attention for some time, the guy's gaze meets Hunter's. "Did you hear what Gabe asked you?"

Shaking his head, he looks at Gabe who was waiting patiently and watching him with a kindness behind his eyes that I hadn't seen in a long time.

"Did you need something, Gabriel?" Roman questions, his tone coming off a little irritated.

"You can call me Gabe," My Beta chuckles as he places a hand on the Lion's shoulder. "We were talking about family," Gabe nods. "Hunter and I have told you about our families and you've met Dylan's but we don't know much about yours, care to share?"

Nice one, Gabe.

Roman starts to look around his hospital room, noticing everyone inside.

Hunter sitting on the edge of his bed, Gabe standing on the left side while I was sitting in the corner of the room with my Dad and uncle Jake — staring at him, a deep frown plastered onto my face as I studied him, trying to figure out the answer to a question that I'd yet to ask.

Keeping his gaze locked onto mine, Roman replies to Gabe's question. "You all know that I am a Lion, my father, the King of my familial Pride, forced me to leave a few days after my eighteenth birthday due to reaching sexual maturity."

"What about siblings?" Gabe asks. "Are your parents still together?"

"Yes," Roman replies honestly, his gaze still locked onto mine, which made me really, super fucking nervous. "Why wouldn't they be?"

Hearing that question, I frown a little as I was confused why he would ask something like that. Rejection isn't something unknown to the Mythical World.

"Sometimes creatures reject their bonds." I tell him, finding my voice, his eyes widen at my admission and I raise a nonchalant eyebrow as I lean forward in my chair, resting my chin atop my fist as I continue to study him.