Chapter 13 | PHASE ONE: Another Feline?!

DYLAN ||

Three days later

Waking up this morning was one of the hardest things that I've ever had to do. For the past three nights, sleep did not come easy — in fact, that shit barely came at all.

Maddox was right — I shouldn't have opened the door to memories of my childhood because nothing good could have come from that and nothing good has come from that.

Now I have a vague sense of why I'm so fucking terrified of those cells. That same fucking presence, that damn voice nagging in the back of my head every single day of my life — had to be that presence in that memory of my childhood.

The last day that I saw Bennett alive.

Throwing the blanket back, I drag myself out of bed as I feel someone pulling on the pack link.

"Yeah?" — I open the link, answering whoever it was and hoping they didn't have bad news to share.

"Alpha?" — I heard Hunter's voice flitter through the link and thankfully it did because it pulled me out of those debilitating thoughts as I sigh in preparation for what he could tell me.

"Yes Hunter, any updates?"

"Ummm.. yes, but I'm not sure what you're going to think when you learn what they are." — He hesitates before actually finishing his statement and I frown.

Walking to my closet, I grab a pair of jeans and a black t shirt out and begin to get dressed for the day, not even bothering to take a shower because I was feeling far too depressed to go through the entirety of that shit.

"What is it, Hunter?" — I question after pulling my shirt over my head and then walking over to grab a pair of shoes from my shoe rack.

"You're probably going to be pissed, but we weren't able to complete the mission, Alpha." — His admittance brought my actions of putting my shoes on, to a screeching halt.

"What?! Why not?!" — I exclaim, grabbing my shoes again, slipping them on and rushing out of my bedroom.

"I would rather tell you in person Alpha, we're almost inside of pack territory." — Hunter states quietly and I scoff.

"This better be good Hunter because with the way that I'm feeling, I swear I will rip your throat out!" — I yell again before cutting the link, slamming the door to my bedroom.

Damn it!

I sent Gabe, Hunter and ten of my best warriors on a very important assignment about two weeks ago. They were supposed to be scouting out the closest rogue camps and finding out any information that could be useful.

Like the camps positions, locations, how many fucking rogues we're dealing with, what their training is like, anything — They were supposed to find out anything that they could, but these fuckers actually cut the assignment short and now are on their way back to the pack? Seriously?!

For them to take it upon themselves and end such an important assignment that I trusted them to lead, pissed me off.

Storming down the stairs, passing my parents and uncle Jake, I make them aware of the situation at hand and they quickly join me as I wait outside for the wolves that I had the nerve to call my pack leaders.

_____

It didn't take very long before I could smell my warriors returning. As soon as they were in eyesight, I start to walk over to them, but I was stopped by my father grabbing my arm.

"Calm yourself son," He whispers harshly. "Don't make a spectacle in front of so many pack members. It's your duty to be the voice of reason and you must hear your men out first before you decide on a course of action."