Chapter 21 | PHASE ONE: Roman

RAIDEN ||

My baby brother being in my arms brought on an entirely new warmth to my life. . . the memories of my struggles these last three weeks all but forgotten as I held onto him for the first time in two years.

Seconds turned to minutes which turned to almost an hour as Roman and I embraced each other, not willing to let go as our familial bond flourished with such warmth, it brought tears to my eyes.

Holding onto each other's safety, each other's love, each other's happiness.

Unable to control Asad, my baby brother and hi Kion start calling out to me, their short burst of roars filling the room as they couldn't find the words to describe this perfect moment — the only thing that seemed right were their calls.

"F-Fuck R-Raiden," Rome stutters through his words as he fights against his overwhelming emotions. "A-are you o-ok?" His chest jerking with each sob that escaped me.

Out of pure instinct and because I missed my baby brother so much, I start rubbing his back soothingly and cradling his head to my shoulder, gently rocking our bodies.

"Calm, Rome, calm, Asad," I whisper, burying my nose into his hair, inhaling all that I could of his scent. "I'm ok, Rome. I'm ok."

I close my eyes after I say those few words because I knew that I was far from ok.

"Tell me I'm safe, brother," Roman whispers into the crook of my neck, his calls for me, stopping only long enough to speak. "Please, I need you to tell me that I'm safe, just tell me that I'm safe."

Begging me to give him those two words that I would always tell him and our sisters whenever they were scared or just needed reassurance, Rome waits for them to come, calming himself enough to stop calling out to me.

Taking a deep breath, I whisper, "You're safe, Rome."

Our roars of happiness filling the room and when I finally pulled back just enough to look into this beautiful man's eyes, I see him blink once then twice, trying to focus his vision through the glow of his Lion' Asad's eyes and when his vision does clear, the image that laid in front of him brought even more tears to his eyes to replace the ones that I'd wiped away.

"What happened to you brother?" He asks, his eyes searching mine and I chuckle but quickly stop as all amusement leaves my frame, my hand going to clutch my stomach as I wince in pain.

Quickly trying to hide my reaction, I clear my throat instead but Roman noticed and he narrows his eyes as he immediately starts to take in my appearance which I'm sure looked downright awful.

Unfortunately there was a little mirror in the corner of the room next to some kind of wardrobe closet and I'd caught a glimpse of what my reflection would show.

I wasn't the built, mountain of power that I was used to be — My body that sat in front of my brother's now was skin and bones, my face had sunken in, bags were under his eyes and my hair was a mangled mess and from what I could see — my body was riddled in bruises.

My time in those fucking cells really took a toll on not just me, but Reland as well — we both looked like shit.

"What the fuck brother?!" Another roar escaping Rome, the intensity behind it, causing me to flinch as I focus my attention back into him, his eyes continuing to study my body. "Who did this to you?"

Before I could answer — Hunter, Gabe, Garrett and Theo run into the hospital room, eyes wide and shocked expressions plastered across their faces as Dylan pulls himself and a nurse off the floor.

Roman's attention is taken by the sudden intrusion and before I could stop myself, a growl escapes me at the sight of the men that I've been waiting to kill for three weeks, enter my hospital room.