Chapter 35 | PHASE THREE: Terror

RAIDEN ||

There were times when I welcomed my night terrors because they helped make the pain real. They helped to calm me in a sense to know that I wasn't going crazy, that I wasn't hearing his voice, that I wasn't seeing his face for nothing.

Then there were times when they absolutely terrified me. When I felt trapped within my own mind, like I couldn't escape no matter what I did, no matter how I begged or pleaded or cried.

No one could hear me, no one could save me and everything could hurt me. . . Just like it did for those four years of imprisonment.

Dax's favorite. . . Dax's whore. . . Dax's new little toy. . . Dax's black Leopard. . . The one who could endure it all. . . The one who could scream but fight back. . . The one who could take the pain, the whips, the shocks, the experiments, the torture, the drainage, the cells, the tears, the blood. . . The one who never gave up. . . The one who never begged for death.

The one who because of what I thought was my greatest strength pushed me to become the peak of his interest. . . The peak of Dax's interest.

Groaning from the pounding pressure in my head, I sit up and slowly take in my surroundings. Lip trembling as I swallow nervously because I knew exactly what this place was.

The section of forest, the very place that I was captured by Dax Kyles six years ago. I can see the Silver river from where I sit, the shimmering of the moon light illuminating the stream. The density of the forest in this area covered in the fog of the cold night, my body shivering as the chilled breeze brushes across my flesh.

Looking down, I see that I'm shirtless, my spiral markings that laid across my chest and wrapped around my shoulders illuminating a deepened green hue which could only signal one thing.

I was in a night terror and Dax was here.

Somewhere lurking in the shadows, covered by the heavy fog and the darkened atmosphere. He was here and so was I. . . which made this one of my worst night terrors to date.

I could handle hearing his voice when I was conscious because I could shake him away. I could handle seeing his face whenever I closed my eyes because I could open them again and force myself not to sleep.

But here, in my head. . . in a deep slumber that I could never pull myself out of, I never welcomed it.

Never.

"I'm so glad to see that you're finally awake," Dax's voice startles me despite the fact that I knew he was here. "Well not exactly awake but you're here and your eyes are open, so that's good enough for me."

Whipping my head in all directions, I slowly pull myself up to my feet and back up against the nearest tree, heart hammering in my chest as I try so desperately to find the son of a bitch. To brace myself for what was to come from the sick fuck.

"My love," Dax coos. "Is that anyway to speak of me? Of our connection? Your words wound me."

"Fuck you," I spit, eyes still darting around the surrounding fog.

The smell of burnt toast fills my senses as I scrunch my nose up in disgust, Dax's dark magic filling the air as he draws closer.

"You know, Raiden," His voice comes again, a hush of wind to my right pulls my attention, but when I see nothing, no one, I growl, backing myself up even further into the tree behind me. "I saw you at that restaurant, with. . . him, the way you held him, watched him, touched him, the way you almost kissed him."