Chapter 20 | PHASE ONE: Release

RAIDEN ||

Today has been a hard one.

Between Reland's constant roars of despair, my body feeling like it's starting to eat itself and the overall fact that I just couldn't handle another minute of being trapped in this cell, deprived of everything humane, I was losing starting to lose myself.

Staring up at the ceiling, I slowly and weakly shake my head, knowing just how fucked I was — knowing just how quickly I was deteriorating.

Not having the strength to keep them open, my eyes flutter shut and I sigh heavily, a huge breath of despair as I was slowly accepting my fate here.

My last thought before I allowed exhaustion to take me was if I ever saw Dylan again — I wouldn't hesitate in rejecting him this time.

The only reason why I haven't done it already is because I want to see the look on his face as I break our bond, carelessly shattering his heart to pieces.

Much like he's shattered mine.

_____

"Now, do it, now."

I frown even within my light slumber as I hear whispered voices that didn't sound like Reland within the cells.

Then I hear something slide across the floor, metal hitting concrete and I open my eyes. Slowly lifting my head from my pillow, I see some kind of red ball on the floor between my cell and Reland's.

And just as I went to get out of my bed to investigate what it was — smoke starts to spiral out of the ball.

I hiss, quickly closing my eyes as the smell of burnt almonds fills the air.

Reland wakes immediately to the whatever the smoke was as well and we both yelp through the burning sensation slicing through our senses.

Whatever this was, it was made to harm felines.

The smoke filling the hallway of cells and slowly sealing into mine, I thrash inside of my cell, trying to escape the fumes as Reland does the same, his sounds and fear permeating through the fumes were enough to hurt my heart for the both of us.

Dropping to the floor as my legs give out, I roar a weakened sound as the fumes and the burn of the smoke force my body to shake, trying it's best to fight through the pain.

My throat and lungs feeling like they were being constructed, my heart rate slowing, sweat dripping down the back of my neck as I yelp again, the pain becoming overbearing as my body feels like it's being burned alive.

Slowly crawling across the cell, my breathing ragged, I reach up, trying to grab the blanket on the metal framed bed — my breaths now coming out as short pants, the pain fully taking over as my body gives out, dropping to the cell floor with a loud thud.

The sight of Reland knocked out on the floor of his cell hurt my entire heart as my body succumbs to the poison in the air and the last thing that I see before my eyes flutter shut were two pair of feet stopping in front of my cell.

_____

Beep.
Beep..
Beep...
Beep....

My ears twitch at the many sounds flooding my senses, sounds that I hadn't heard in nearly a month.

Shuffling. . . More whispering and foreign voices flipped my ears before I actually could decipher what was happening.

"Thank you Doctor, I'll call you if he needs anything else." That voice, it's familiar yet softer than what I've grown accustomed to.

Slowly, I try to open my eyes, allowing my eyelids to flutter open, but they close the second that the bright light above me rips through my sight.

Shaking my head, I slowly crack my eyes open again and blink a few times, trying to focus in on the blurry outline of the person in the bed next to mine.