38| Handiwork

Chapter thirty eight

You laid on the lady's bed, on your side, propped on a throw pillow that was covered in multiple towels.

You sweated profusely as the adrenaline from before faded away into a dense pain.

"It hurts!" you cried, wishing death could wash over you and relieve you of the terrible feeling.

"I know, I know..." Lady Dimitrescu paced about with hesitation, she was fighting her own judgment as she figured out how to handle your wound.

"Keep pressure on the gash, don't you move your hand, not once." her long legs made for a quick motion to and out of the doors, leaving you in a flash.

You sobbed aloud in the quiet, dark room, wishing she hadn't left you.

The pain was excruciating.

It was the type of pain to keep anyone from thinking of anything other than death, however, one thought roamed your mind over and over since you were rushed into the room.

Did I make the right choice?

Through your hurt, your mind fought to think of other routs you could've taken instead of killing Ethan, but you found no answer better than the current.

It was clear the pair of you could only trust each other so far.

You thought, there was even a moment to attack Alcina with the dagger, but that would only cause trouble with the rest of the lords, wouldn't it? Not to mention, hurting her was not something you wanted.

At least, not right away.

You wondered if you were becoming a little too invested in her, this new life of yours.

Regardless, everything that occurred back there, happened so quick, and with little time to think.

"My lord?!" you cried out.

Nausea from pain stirred in your stomach, and every thought, movement and moment you sat still only seemed to aggravate your injury.

You heard the creak of the double doors.

You sighted a sheepish Daniela, peering her head through the door. Her mouth was full and she chewed slowly, blood occasionally dripping out of her pursed lips.

"Can you please get me your mother?!" you yelled, the sight of her crimson mouth only made your stomach turn in the moment of extreme pain.

She made her way over to you, "She's on the phone right now, she sent me over to watch you." she said as she looked at your wound worriedly.

"Did he really do that to you?" she asked with a full mouth.

"Yes," you groaned out.

She frowned angrily, suddenly chewing her food roughly before swallowing, "There, I ruined his flesh even more."

You gave her a weak and brief smile in response, assuming the rest of the daughters were downstairs, digging into what was left of the lifeless man.