Chap. 13

Enjoy! 

~Some people feel like they don't deserve love. They walk away quietly into empty spaces, trying to close the gaps of the past~ Jon Krakauer 'Into the Wild'

I woke up pretty early today. I managed to beat my alarm clock by a quarter. I was wide awake and I couldn't exactly go back to sleep. I sat up and stretched. The feeling of Friday after a horrendous week just feels amazing.

I hopped off my bed, took my laptop from my desk, then sat back down on my mattress. I logged into Facebook and Grooveshark, and plugged in my earphones.

I'm having a good Friday already.

I clicked on the status box on Facebook and typed in the letter that so many before me have done.

T.G.I.F

Along with it, I posted the link to Katy Perry's song, my all-time favorite from her, "Last Friday Night". Damn, I was determined to make this day good.

Fabien and I actually survived our first week here. I logged off Facebook, and just let the music soothe me while I waited for the time to be right for me to get ready. After dozing off, I looked over at my clock and 5:40 read on the clocks. I got my ass off the bed and put my laptop back. I got what I needed and went straight for the bathroom.

///

I reached the bottom of the step and there was a huge shock. Fabien wasn't there to yell at me to hurry up.

No wonder it was so quiet.

I glanced at my phone and it read 6:50.

This is usually the time that we leave, right?

Or am I missing something?

"Fabien?!" I yelled. My voice bounced all over the walls of the house, "Fabien! C'mon we gotta go!"

"Calm down! I'll be right there!" He answered back. After he said that, there was something shuffling upstairs.

It sounded like it wasn't gonna end anytime soon.

"Skye, go and eat something before you guys leave." Aunt Joce called from the kitchen.

I walked down the hall to the kitchen and the loaf of bread was sitting on the counter with butter and strawberry jam.

Nice!

I opened the bread bag and put two slices in the toaster.

"Hey Skye." Fabien greeted as he trudged through the threshold of the kitchen.

"Hey." I looked up from the toaster and dude, he looked like Hell, "What's up?" I asked.

"Nothing."

"Then, why do you look a little pale? And dude... what's with the bags under your eyes. You're too young to have those. Did you get enough sleep last night? Or did you have too much of a sweetness overload last night that it wouldn't let you sleep?" I smirked.

"Forget it, Skye." His eyes widened as Uncle Vic came up behind him.

"Fabien?" He eyed him, "Are you okay?"

"Yes." He grumbled, "Can we change the subject now? I know I look like I just got hit by a bus."

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

I looked back at the toaster and the slices already popped up. I took them out one by one and began to spread the butter and jam on it. Aunt Joce came walking in through the garage entrance holding laundry detergent and her grim semi-wiped off when she saw Fabien standing there, "Fabien?" She had the maternal/mother's worry on her face, "Honey, are you okay?"