Chap. 11

Task one: Paintballing

We were on the freeway when my phone rang. I slid it out of my pocket and plugged it into the car's speakers.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Skye? Where are you?" Sarah's voice echoed in my car.

"Uh, am I on speaker?"

"No."

"Oh, well, Fabien and I are headed to the hotel first, then I'll come over to your house afterwards."

"Okay cool. See you then."

"See ya."

We hung up, and I continued on the freeway. We reached the hotel and the both of us got out and carried what we had inside. Fabien's friends were already there, and met up with us as soon as they saw Fabien emerge from the lot.

They did their "bro" dap and Fabien introduced them as Scott, Dan, and Chris. The four of them turned to look at me, waiting for instructions.

"Okay you guys. Thanks so much for doing this. Just do whatever Mr. and Mrs. Griffin asks you to do and go along with it. Sarah and I should be back before sundown with the birthday boy." I informed.

"No problem, Skye." Scott said, winking at me but then Fabien nudged him in his gut and he staggered back.

Whatever.

I ran back to my car and sped over to Sarah's house. Luckily, I didn't get a ticket. When I got there, Lolo's car was in the driveway.

Here we go.

I hopped out of my car and walked over to the front door and rang the bell. I didn't even get a chance to breathe when a pair of arms wrapped themselves around me.

"Heh, hey Lolo." I muttered, patting his back.

He let go at arm's length and almost shook me to a concussion, "Are you ready, Skye? Are you ready?!"

"Oh my God." I laughed, "Where's Sarah?"

He led the way back inside as he answered, "In the bathroom."

"Mmkay." We sat down on the couch, when a couple minutes later Sarah emerged from the hall.

"Hey Skye." She hugged me.

"Hey, Fabien's at the hotel." I whispered in her ear.

"Okay." She whispered back.

We let go and looked at Lolo. He was sprawled out on the couch waiting for us, "Alright, lezz go." I smiled.

///

We got to the nearest Paintball Park within thirty miles of the town, but Lolo wouldn't shut up the whole way there.

We entered the building and walked up to the receptionist desk. Posters were plastered everywhere—pictures of players, guns, and armor covered the walls. The person working the desk was typing away on the computer in front of him, and Sarah snapped him out of it for a minute.

"Excuse me." She said.

The guy looked up and he smiled, "Welcome guys, how can I help you?"

"Uhm, well..." Sarah twisted a lock of her hair, "We wanted to do a session? Or play? Whatever it's called. I called and booked a time for today? At 1:45?"

"Sure thing. Lemme check. What's your name?" He asked.

"Sarah Fuller."

He looked at the computer monitor and grinned, "Oh, there you are. Yup, you and your friends are filling in the hour slot starting at 1:45. Go ahead and sit for a minute, one of our instructors will be with you guys in a minute to teach you the ropes."