Chap. 6

2700+ reads! Thanks so much for those who are reading! Much appreciated!

Over the weekend, my friends and I spent the last two days they had in Virginia just being us. We celebrated Leet's and Ref's new jobs and Manny's acceptance to UCLA. It was nothing but bonding with them.

It was almost as if I never left California in the first place.

They even helped me decide which song I should do for the audition. I wasn't really planning on telling them that I was gonna join but then I received a call from the talent show committee while we were hanging out asking me what I was planning on doing. They told me I had to have a song prepared for the audition if I was going to sing, and for the real performance, it can either be the same or a different song—so two songs need to be prepared.

My friends suggested to go with "Vanilla Twilight" by Owl City for my audition.

The plan was to bring my keyboard to the audition and play it for them, then if I get in the show, play a Beatles song.

It seems like a good idea for now... right?

Anyway.

Time was getting close for my friends to head back to California. I treasured the last two days with them. We left the house at four in the afternoon on Sunday; Uncle Vic and I were dropping them off at the airport. They wished me luck for my audition that was scheduled for Tuesday.

Erin's bloodshot eyes matched mine. The boys had solemn faces. We all didn't want this to end, but sooner or later we all had to move on. They wished me luck for my audition and gave me giant hugs before they went to the first checkpoint in security.

The last time someone that I cared about went through airport security, I never saw them again. So, I threatened my friends that they'd better make it back home safe and to contact me saying that they made it home alright.

There was a moment where I just wanted to hide in one of their suitcases and go back to California with them. But then I realized... Virginia is my home now. I've managed to make a life here. My friends disappeared and I couldn't fight my tears anymore. The water raced down my cheeks.

I'm really a quiet crier. I don't to sob or cry hysterically because it turns into this ugly cry, although Ray thinks it's cute. I all but slapped him when he said that. I stood there, hoping they'd just turn back around and stay, but then reality overtook my mind and made me realize that I was wishing for the impossible.

I crossed my arms to keep myself from shaking.

My clothes still had Erin's perfume scented on it. As they vanished, Uncle Vic led me to watch the airplane take off. I stepped closer to the window and watched as the plane made it way down the runway. The wheels drove on the ground then little by little it took off. The wheels hid underneath and it flew.

They were already in the air. More tears won the battle with my gut and ran down my face. Erin, the twins, Elijah, Ray, Manny... they were all gone.

I felt a sob about to break through the barrier I've built, so I covered my mouth to keep from making a noise. My hands were shaking. I felt tense. Suddenly, I felt a hand grab hold of my left shoulder. I looked up and Uncle Vic was staring out the same window, but the plane was long gone. He looked at me with the same stoic look that the boys had.

He nodded at me then whispered, "Let's go home."

I nodded back, not saying a word. However, my feet wouldn't move from the spot. My eyes were still fighting back water. My head was nodding "yes' but my gut was shaking it's head "no". My legs were wobbling and I was losing my battle to stay strong.