01. Gossiping Shadows

Octavia

Maybe I had always been broken and dark inside.

It was probably inevitable, inescapable. I don't know why I ever thought different, why my family thought different. Though I suppose image is everything, especially amongst royalty. No imperfections, no mistakes and no dirty secrets. I was living proof of everything my mother despised. No wonder she sought to keep me hidden. But I'm free now, I have to remember that. No, I have to remember that I was never trapped in the first place or else all of Stella's perfect lies will crumble. The life she built for me with it.

I didn't have the nerve to look at my mother or sister as we drove to Alfea. Gently toying with the scars ruining my wrists as I looked out at the green forests of Solaria. I looked down at the bracelet like rings. The scars were old and silver but there were fresh ones just below. A reminder of the consequences of disobeying the queen. Just like the scar on my back.

"... avia .... Octa... Octavia"

For the love of Helios, will I ever be free from my mother's horrific drawls.

"Are you listening to me?" She raised one perfect brow in a mock question, already knowing the answer.

"I asked you a question." She gracefully crossed one leg over another, her back straightening., eyes bright with a familiar irritation. I tense. Old fears taking over.

"My apologise mother, I was lost in thought" My voice was more demure and soft than I would have liked.

"Are you aware of the plans in place for your-" another pause, longer this time "training" she said with much distaste. A shadow curled around Stella's ear

She looks like she swallowed a lemon

It crooned cruelly. Dutifully conveying my message, with zealous glee. They never did like Queen Luna, even before they began talking to me.

Stella scoffed from the seat beside me, her cream outfit blending perfectly with the luscious seats of the royal car.

She could be one of the pillows

I fought the urge to snort - I doubt it would be considered ladylike in mother's view. not that she would have noticed, her rant appears to be occupying her. That particular little shadow had developed a habit of insulting my sister. I'm hoping little shadow means the jokes in good nature, but they're fickle things and it's hard to pin down their emotions.

I straightened in my seat as the gateway to Alfea came into view. Turning to face mother I began to listen to what she was saying. Hopefully it will be something relevant and not more threats. They become meaningless when used too often. I shall have to remember that.

"Headmistress Dowling has agreed to keep the... issues, with your magic secret. Same with yours Stella"

"Will we be expected to train with the other students" Stella's face was devoid of all emotion, her eyes glittering steel but her voice was tight with anxiousness. she was never able to hide her emotions from me. Not now when my shadows tell me everything, the incessant gossipers they are.

"You will take classes with them but Dowling will be training with you privately." That piercing blue gaze was quickly fixed on me.

"Dowling, cannot know the full extent of your powers" Her voice took on a lilting quality that I was all too familiar with. That feeling of childish desperation crept up. "Use what little light you have left, the... shadows should be kept to minimum"

"Yes mother" my voice caught in my throat as we jolted through the gate. Stella looked like she was about to rip into the driver.

She's tense about going back to school

The small shadow whispered in my ear, another quickly joining.

I think... that it's about a Booooooy.

It sung teasingly

Who would date her???

The little shadow asked incredulously. The darker shadow answered slowly.

It must have been the royal status.... Bragging rights, yeah

Be quiet. I commanded, the shadows falling silent.

Yes mistress

I watched silently as the shadows drifted down to my wrists, swirling around the scars there. I felt a nudge against my side. Stella's brows were raised in question, that demanding look on her face as I fought to keep my smile hidden. I doubt she would appreciate my shadows talk. She was only just getting used to them. As I opened my mouth to hastily compile an excuse we came to slow stop.

"Be safe my girls and make me proud " Mother commanded before ushering us out the car.

Stepping hesitantly out I looked up at what would be my new home, Alfea.