21. Flirting Stars

Stella's Dress ^

Stella's Dress ^

Stella

"You're not serious?" I exclaim as I gape at Brandon's grinning face.

"I am dead serious, dearest Stella. Connor flung the bucket over the side and I was covered head to toe in feathers, honey, grease, chicken poo and Apollo knows what else."

I break into giggles, raising a hand to cover my mouth as he chuckles beside me. Brandon's eyes flicker with light as he watches me laugh and I can't help but admire him in the soft ballroom light.

"I believe," Brandon drawls with a grin as couples take to the floor after the interlude. "I bargained three dances with you."

"Oh?" I arch an eyebrow in question, even as I take his offered hand. "And what am I getting in return in this... bargain."

"Decent company and a save from being drowned in tedious work."

I roll my eyes, grinning as the music begins and we start to sway.

"Trapping me in a slow dance." I tease, "How cliche."

Brandon blushes as he glances away from me with a slight huff.

"I thought it was rather charming of me."

Laughter bubbles up before I can stop it, my body shaking with the movement and we glide across the floor, I feel Brandon's gaze on me. I open my eyes, not realising I had closed them, only to find his gaze caught on mine.

Heat fills my cheeks as I look up at Brandon, craning my neck back to accommodate for his height.

"It was." I concede.

My attention turns to the couples around us as we begin to speed up, catching flashes of feathered wings, scaled hands and a glimpse of rich red hair. Helios, I've missed this, the pure freedom of dancing. Not the forced lessons of Royalty but a true ballroom dance, full of so many cultures that there are no rules to the dance.

"What brings you here then, business?" I ask, guilt briefly flickering through me at the thought of my own duties. The realm relies on my family and I to create trade, build relations and covet wealth and prosperity on their behalf, yet here I am flirting away during one of the largest political events of the year.

Brandon winces slightly. "Family."

"Not good, I take it." I offer sympathetically. The music begins to crescendo and we move faster as it builds.

"No, well yes." Brandon's gaze drifts to the crowd before focusing on me. "My uncle is hosting the ball."

I stumble. Brandon's arm quickly tightens around me to keep us steady, his eyes filling with an emotion I can't place.

"Now I feel guilty for not recognising my host."

Brandon, his arms still cradling me tightly, laughs quietly as he looks down at me. "Perhaps, but you've made up for your bad etiquette with your charming company."