06. Shadowed Ghosts

Riven

Fear rushes through me as I chase after the little pixie. What was that thing? I've never seen anything like it. We've learnt about hundreds of different demons and creatures in class yet I've never heard of one that's made of shadows.

I run faster. Quickly gaining on the little sprite. I put my dagger away. What was I thinking? What's a blade going to do against a shadow?

The shadow whips around her. It pauses against her shoulder as if it's watching me.

I snarl. Fear overtakes me, It's taunting her.

Octavia stumbles and begins to slow.

I lunge forward grabbing her arm and pinning her against the nearest tree. I press myself against her back, feeling the trembles through her body as she pants in exhaustion.

"Calm down." I command. "It's just me."

She tenses more if possible and that cursed phantom curls against her shoulder. I freeze. It's next to her throat.

"What is that thing." I hiss. The shadow swirls around clearly agitated but it makes no moves.

"What?" she rasps.

"Don't move," I say again. "There's some kind of shadow following you."

The little pixie quickly began struggling against me. I tighten my grip, panicking. Why is she fighting? Doesn't she understand it's going to hurt her? I begin shaking in rage. Desperate to keep her safe somehow.

The shadow curls around her ear. She stills, her body rigid against mine.

My breath is coming in ragged pants, I can feel my heart racing as sweat drips down my brow.

"Riv," I still. "Riv it's okay" She soothes. Her body goes pliant against mine.

"There's no danger. The shadow isn't going to hurt me." Her voice is silky smooth. I feel my grip loosen.

Slowly as if afraid of startling me the little fairy turns. She's looking up at me. Her blue eyes shine with worry.

"Riven." She whispers, hand reaching up to cup my face. Small, I realise, she's small in comparison to me. She just reaches my shoulders.

"Riven look at me" Because I'm not. I can't stop staring at the shadow curled on her shoulder. "It's not going to hurt me" Her voice is stern and strong.

I let go of her waist. Pixie lowers her hands, slowly dropping them to her sides.

I blink. She smiles hesitantly. I freeze. Looking down at her I only just realise that I still have her pinned against a tree. The only difference is she's facing me this time.I watch as her eyes dart down to my lips. Well there's my confidence back.

"What are you thinking about sweetheart?" I tease. Smirking down at her, my attention still on the shadow. Distracted. I need her to be calm and distracted.

She scoffs, rolling her eyes as she pushes me away.

"Get over yourself." She snaps, I tense. She faces me, raising an eyebrow in mock questions. "Or shall I send one of my shadows after you?"

A grin lights up her face so bright that I can't help but stare. I pause. She reaches a hand up and brushes the shadow off her shoulder.

"That shadow thing could have hurt you!" I cry out. Shock over taking me as I realise how oblivious she was to the threat. "What were you thinking jus-" I stop.

"YOU'RE shadows?" I demand

Octavia

Shit.

Shit. shit. Shit. This is not good.