09. A Specialist's Shadow

Riven

Sky and I are making our way to our first class. Well, Sky was making his way to his first class and saw me trying to sneak away. Long story short- he's dragging me by the ear to class. More like the arm but still, the disrespect is the same

"You can let go of me now." I snap, voice filled with irritation. "I'm not going to run off."

"We both know you will." Sky rolls his eyes at me.

"Besides," He says as we stop in front of a door. "We're here now."

I groan. Why didn't I just make a break for it. Oh yeah, Sky's puppy dog eyes. Stupid, stupid. I need to stop falling for his tricks.

"Ah, Sky, Riven." Tomen says in greeting from the front of the fairy-specialist class. "Just in time."

I glance around the familiar classroom from last year. The walls are covered with various historical posters. Everything ranging from 100 year old "Join the specialists!" posters to war notifications to- is that a chocolate bar ad?

We take a seat in the back row. Tomen has a rule about filling the class up from the front to avoid people taking the back seats. I guess slowing Sky down worked in my favour. At least now it'll be easier to hide my phone under the table.

"Alright, you disgusting pigs." Tomen mocks from the front. My head snaps up. "Did any of you actually shower after training?" He demands.

I don't know why he's surprised. Tomen's been teaching here half the time Silva has and Silva's like- ancient. Besides, the first years hog the showers. They haven't learnt that 15 minute showers aren't possible here. 3 minutes max. I guess us second years will have some fun educating them and getting them back in line.

"Phone in the box Riven." I look up to see Tomen in front of me with a box filled with phones. So he has learnt something.

"I-"

"Now Riven." Tomen says as Sky reaches forward and drops his blue phone in the box. I sigh and quickly do the same. Well this just got a whole lot more boring.

"Today's lesson," Tomen begins as he walks back to his desk. "Is on Eusebeia bonds. Can anyone tell me what 'Eusebeia' means?"

Head down, no eye contact, pretend to think. 

"Sky?" Tomen says. Thank you golden boy.

"Eusebia is the Ancient Greek anthropomorphised concept of loyalty, duty and filial respect."

Tomen pauses, so does the rest of the class. What the fuck Sky? Sky stops. His cheeks fill with colour as he realises everyone was staring at him.

"Silva had a Eusebia bond with my father." Sky says in a way of explanation, clearing his throat after. 

Sadness flickers across his face and I wish to Helios I could take it away. I wish it didn't cause him so much pain. It didn't last year but this year seems to be different. Apparently Silva's love for him, which he's oblivious too, is no longer enough. He needs to know about his biological father. I thought I saw tension between him and Silva earlier. I guess it has meaning now. Tomen clears his throat to regain our attention. Some of the kids are still looking at Sky though, nosy little brats. Tomen begins to explain the meaning behind the name. His voice is loud, clearly trying to fill the awkward silence. It's not wotking too well but it's getting a lot of the kid's attention so who cares. Except I see one fairy, Devin I believe, eyes flash purple as he looks at Sky. Mind fairy. He trying to screw with Sky's head.

"Oi, Tinkerbell." I hiss at Devin. He has the nerve to look surprised at me as if it wasn't obvious. "Fuck off before I break your jaw."

Devin flinches. I watch in satisfaction as he quickly turns to face the front. Pussy.