05. Chasing Shadows

Riven

"I dunno man. There's just something about her." Sky says as he takes a step back.

"What, you're smitten after one chat?" I demand as I point my training sword in his face. Really, he's free from Stella all of two minutes and he's already found another chick to obsess over.

Sky swings- Block. Block. Twist and kick.

I grin as the kick lands against Sky's back.

Block. Block. Attack. Sky spins. Attack.

"What is it with you and the crazy ones?" I question tauntingly. Come on, take the bait. Sky glares up at me, eyes narrowing.

JAB. Straight in the stomach.

Sky groans as he straightens up.

Giggles erupt from the side.

I glance over, looking for the source. There's no one there. Just our gear causing shadows in the sun. My brows furrow as I turn back to face Sky. We begin circling each other as I spin my "sword"

"How do you know she's crazy? You haven't even met her." Sky challenges, raising his sword at me.

I cock my head to the side as I say "She's a goth chick. They've all got daddy issues." I paused, pointing at the sky again with the sword. "Amazing shags though"

A scoff from the side. I glance down. No one.

"Oooooh, you speak from experience?" Sky taunts. "Didn't realise your hand was a goth"

Attack. Block. Get kicked in the stomach.

I grunt in pain. Straightening up to block Sky's attack.

Block. Block. Strike.

And then get flipped in the air.

Sweet Hades, that hurt.

"You got slow this summer" Sky mocks. A small grin lights up his face.

I flop back in exhaustion.

"Correction, I got high" I say as I bring my hands behind my head to make a cushion.

"Really" Sky demands as I raise my brows in mock offence.

Disapproving stare. I can feel it. I glance to the side again. Rage begins to build as I realise the side is empty. I reach up to clasp Sky's arm as he pulls me up.

"Look, whatever big-brother speech you're about to give me..."

"There's no speech"

"I don't wanna hear it" I rub my head, annoyance beginning to build. I glance around at the other training platforms. Looking at the groups of friends standing by platforms to support their team-mates. I glance at the kids hanging by the weapon racks. Nothing. They're all absorbed in their own little groups. There was no one there.

"What do you keep looking for?" Sky questions. He turns to face me, brows furrowed in confusion. Great, he probably thinks I'm having a breakdown thanks to the drugs.

Maybe I am.

"Nothing, thought I heard someone was all '' I quickly answered. "Besides, a better use of your time would be to distract your aggro father figure so I don't get expelled" I bend down to grab my stuff, slipping a joint behind my ear. I see Sky glance at Silva as I stride off towards the forest in search of a quiet place to smoke.

Sky

I look over at Silva, watching as he gives his infamous welcome speech to the first years.