17. Queen of Light

Sky

"Mãe." I greet Irene, bringing her into a crushing hug.

Something eases in my chest at the sight of her motherly figure. She smells of fresh grass and something uniquely her that reminded me of days spent in the Silva cottage growing up. Pulling away from her, I looked down at her small frame. Suddenly It finally dawns on me that I'm taller than her. When I first left for Alfea I was just level with her and she was away most of this summer on missions, much to Silva and I's disappointment, that I didn't notice. I feel myself begin to choke up a little. Have I really changed that much?

"When did you get so small." I croak.

Mãe bursts into laughter and I hear Silva chuckle away too. She swats my arm and I cringe in fake hurt, grinning the whole time at the ease in our movements. I watch as Mãe looks over my shoulder, eyes bright as a small smile graces her face in greeting.

"Riv." She coos. Letting go of my arms to brush past me. I look up to see Silva watching Irene with soft adoration, his stance loose and relaxed. He looks like the man who raised me, the Silva who taught me how to ride a bike and taught me to read. It's been a while since I've seen him like this, he's spent so long in the headmaster and soldier role that I sometimes forget what he was like as I was growing up.

"How have you been Mrs Silva?" Riven asks politely as he bends down to hug the older woman.

"How many times have I told you to call me Irene." Mãe grins widely as Riv chuckles nervously as he looks at a stern Silva whose face has lost most of the previous softness in favour of a protective look. I cough to hide my chuckle at Silva's "Don't you dare" face. He never let disrespect stand in training and he certainly doesn't allow any towards his Mate.

"And I've told you how scary your mate and son can be Mrs S." Riven whispers conspiratorially with a grin as he glances between Silva and I. I guess I can be a little overprotective of her as well but- wait, son? I tense in irritation. How many times do I have to tell him to stop with the family jokes? I know they raised me and I'm so grateful to them but they don't want kids. The only reason Silva took me in was because of my father, and poor Irene took me on when she mated and married Silva. Not that we haven't had fun but I'm aware it must be uncomfortable for them to be playing family with someone who isn't blood.

"Riv," I warn, seeing the way Mãe tense and glances sadly in my direction.

My chest crushes at the look. Just because I feel bad that I derailed their lives doesn't mean I don't wish desperately for her approval and love. She's so kind that you can't help it. Irene grins at me warmly but there's something sad in her smile.

Mãe loops her arm through Rivs and walks back towards our small group. Looking around I pause as I finally notice Terra and a pale and distant looking Tavi.

"Have you been eating?" Irene demands, looking riven up and down as she holds him by the arms. "You're far too pale to be healthy and you're a growing boy riven- you need food, especially if you're training with these two." She sends a scathing look at Silva who has come to stand by my side. I duck my head down in amusement at both Riv's blushing face and Silva's indignant one.

"Don't you try and hide from me, meu filho." She snaps

"Sorry, Mãe." I reply feeling like the 10 year old boy being scolded for trying to steal a cookie.

She hums in amusement at my tone, giggles escaping her and I can't help but grin back. Seeing Silva smile lovingly at her as he glances between the two of us.

"Pixie?" Riv asks in confusion.

The four of us turn to face Terra and Tavi who are standing rather awkwardly to the side. Not that you would be able to tell with Tavi, she was holding herself with a practiced grace that clearly came from her upbringing in the royal household. Tavi, despite the fact she's looking at us and smiling politely, there's a detached look about her that I only notice thanks to our morning runs. It's the look she gets when she's talking with the shadows or when she's concentrating really hard on building a strong shield.