34. Silent Shadows

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

。・:*:・゚★"Just two broken hearts grieving the loss of their soul

。・:*:・゚★"Just two broken hearts grieving the loss of their soul."・゚☆

Octavia

I can feel the dread build in my stomach as I begin to wake up. The absence of my shadows is like a punch to the gut, like someone is squeezing on my heart. I distantly hear Beatrix warn Riven about what to expect, about the sheer anguish that grates on my soul when I'm separated from my shadows. Distantly I register her mentioning my complete inability to function, this time talking to Stella before she leaves for class, but Riven assumes he has superpowers and will be able to get me to move.

He doesn't.

I don't.

Riven holds me to his chest and whispers promises of chocolate coated strawberries and waffles if I get up. When that doesn't work he promises me a private re-enactment of my favourite smutty books in the bedroom if I sit up and eat something. Finally, he promises me the world if I'll open my eyes.

I can't.

Not even for him.

Eventually, he gets out of the bed and snaps at Stella to watch me while he leaves for class. The bed dips as Stella sits down and begins to stroke my back. I want to thank her, and crack a joke about her finally acting like the older sister. I can't. There's nothing left of me.

Stella mercifully doesn't try to talk to me, just touches me gently like I'm a breakable porcelain doll. Like I'm so fucking breakable. Shit, I guess I am right now. I feel as if she wants to say something. I keep hearing her shift and open her mouth to speak, but then silence. The door opens somewhere, maybe Riven has come back.

If I could bring myself to move I'd demand an explanation for her behaviour, ask who just entered my room. But I can't. I wouldn't even have to ask if I still had my shadows. They could have told me. Whispered her secrets to me like a bedtime story. Then I hear Sky's voice start up and distantly wonder why he's not in class with Riven.

Unless Sky is here with Stella. He must still be guarding her. I thought he would have been with Bloom after his speech last night and the changeling drama.

"She won't move or speak, I'm freaking the fuck out... yes, Beatrix... yes, come now... I don't care, just ditch class and drag him over here right now."

Then he stops talking. Stella gently strokes away the hair from my face but eventually she leaves too so that I can wallow in the silence by myself.

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

Stella

I want her dead. I glare at my mother as I walk past the meeting room.

This is her fault. I was so naive to believe that Octavia would be okay, that the Queen would let her off with a light punishment. But this- this is cruel. I swallow back tears at the thought as I stride towards my suite. She's gone. My twin is gone. There's nothing left of her in that shell. Sky is walking behind me, guarding me even as we walk through the school halls. How different it is now that my mother is here.