04. Hiding in the Shadows

Octavia

"Rosalind, is a devious woman with plenty of tricks up her sleeves" I announced as I stepped out of the shadows and into the light.

As they should well know. One of the more... malevolent, shadows whispered

Silva jolted as he turned around but his face remained calm. Soldier's training I suppose. Downing hand moved a muscle, perhaps she knew I was there all along. I doubt it.

"Does it really surprise you that she's still screwing with people beyond her- what was it again" stasis mistress "ah, yes. The stasis confinement. Does she listen in on these conversations Miss Dowling? She seems awfully close for comfort." 

I pouted haughtily, a family mask creeping upon me. Stay cold. Stay strong. Don't show fear - don't show weakness. They were friends with Rosalind. Even if they aren't now I can't take the risk until I know more.

"Rosalind is secure" Dowling proclaimed, head raised as she walks around to the front of the desk.

Silva shift back to stand by Dowling's side but I hear his phone buzz slightly. He shifts, Silvas clearly expecting important information if he's suddenly become distracted.

I let out a hum.

Secure. Really. Does she think I'm stupid. I couldn't help but demand of the shadows.

She's scared,mistress. She's hiding behind a mask of confidence. Little shadow reassured me

... much like you mistress. I tense at the malevolent shadows words, that one never liked me. Never liked anything, haughty bastard.

"What was that" Dowling questions. She smiled curiously but I could see the burning desire behind her eyes. Silva stands tense beside her, moving his hand away from his pocket where his phone rests. Maybe he's waiting for Sky to text. He might want to make sure his son found his room safely.

"What was what?" I questioned, schooling my face into a mask of innocent confusion.

"I have been practicing magic for a very long time Octavia, I can feel the hum in the air when it is used"

Can she really? Funny, my shadows aren't my magic. Perhaps she is bluffing.

Or she knows something we don't. Darkling snarled

I thought you knew everything. I questioned, annoyance seeping into my words.

Silva glances between the two of and his phone buzzes again and I see the brief flash of alarm in his eyes. Who is waiting on? 

"You must be mistaken, headmistress. I was not using any magic. Perhaps it was one of your little trinkets"

I held her stare as she settled back against her desk. In the corner of my eye I could see headmaster Silva glance between us.

He looks like a tennis spectator. Little shadow giggled quietly as I fight the urge to join him.

Eventually Silva interrupts , coughing politely but neither of us break our stare. When that doesn't work he awkwardly leaves the room pulling his phone out as he goes. I wonder if he was seeking to avoid the oncoming conflict or looking for an excuse to check his messages. 

I continue to stare at the Headmistress. I don't know what Dowling was thinking when she challenged a traumatised teenager to a battle of wills. We'll either roll over and go to sleep out of avoidance or- you'll go to the ends of the earth to prove you're the Alpha? Malevolent asked. You know what Maleficent wannabe, why don't you shut it while I win this fight, yeah?