54. The Aftermath

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

。・:*:・゚★,"Why was my life deemed worth more than theirs?"・:*:・゚☆

Riven

"They're dead."

"Not from old age, or from an unexplained or unstoppable accident, they were needlessly slaughtered. We should have never been out there."

"Students. How could they forget we're students."

"They waited hours, Wisp." I whisper, "Hours and hours and- Silva was there. But Dowling wasn't."

"I was there, Sky was there, Octavia and Beatrix were there- Helios, even fucking dead Dreas was there."

Hysterical laughter breaks free and echoes around the room.

"They were my friends." My voice breaks. "And now there isn't even enough left of them to bury."

"We should have never been in that position, Tavi should never have ordered them there."

"No."

"My mate should have never had to bear the burden of their lives. Not yet at least. She is still learning herself. She should have never been forced to choose between lives."

"I wonder if their families know yet?" They'll cry, just like I did when I found my mother. "I wonder if they found enough of their bodies."

"They'' have to burn the remains," Laughter bubbles out of me. "Burning them after being killed by a burned one, poetic."

"How do you think they brought their bodies back? Do you think they had to use bags and scoop them up like they were no better than trash."

"I wonder if Dowling went and saw them herself."

"Three specialists. It could have been me, it could have been Sky, it could have been Octavia."

The shadows seem long and twisted in the dim light of Wisp's stall.

"Ripped limb from limb."

"It was like finding mother all over again."

"Who will tell their families? Dowling is runs the school but Silva was their headmaster. What if they expect Octavia to inform them because she led them into battle."

"I still haven't found Olivia."

I scratch at my wrists.

"My friends are dead. My mates could have died, I could have died."

"At least they won't be in pain any longer, they are free from pain now. Eternal peace."

"It sounds nice."

My head feels like it's pounding and my skin feels too tight for my body.

"What do you think they thought of, Wisp?" I murmur, wrapping my arms around her neck. "In their last moments I mean."