Chapter 4

Head spinning, Lexi walked slowly over to join the others, sitting absentmindedly at the end of the table, then standing back up.

"I think I'll call it a night. Thanks for singing with me, Jack. Thanks, all of you, for... everything." She felt dazed.

The boys and Phillip all stood to say goodnight, and Jack came around to stand beside her.

"Let me walk you back to your bungalow, Lexi."

"Yes. Thank you. Goodnight." She waved vaguely in the direction of the group as they left the terrace, Jack's hand resting gently on the small of her back.

They walked in silence until they reached the door.

"Will you come in? I wouldn't mind some company."

She motioned for him to sit while she went in the bedroom to change from her dress to pyjamas. She needed to be comfortable. Back in the sitting room she offered him a drink, then pulled it back, "Wait, are you allowed to drink? Will Phillip and Emma be mad if I give you booze?"

He laughed. "I'm considered an adult most everywhere in the world except this country, Lexi. As long as it's not in public, Phillip and Emma don't care."

She handed it to him and sank onto the sofa by his side. "Jack, do you know what just happened?"

"He offered you a contract, didn't he?"

"He did. Yesterday I was a small town nurse looking for a new job and now I'm being offered a contract by Nigel Tavish. I don't know what to do. You said at dinner that you had wanted to sing since you were eight. You've worked for it. I haven't done a damn thing and it's being handed to me. I think I feel guilty."

"Lexi, you were born with your voice, just like I was born with mine. It could have gone the opposite way, you know, you working for it and me just getting it. No matter how you get there, it's what you do with it that really matters.

"We're making pop music that'll have the girls going crazy. We're good looking and we have talent and we've got Nigel backing us. We're going to be huge. You're beautiful and you have talent and you've got Nigel backing you. You're going to be huge. Don't feel guilty. Run with it."

"You're pretty wise behind those dimples and that mop."

If any night was the one to take a chance, this was it. Lexi leaned toward Jack, reaching her fingers into his hair and pulling him so close their faces almost touched.

"May I kiss you?" she whispered.

"Yes, please."

Their lips met, and Lexi sighed as a shiver went down her spine. When Jack pulled her lower lip between his teeth and ran his tongue over it, she gave a quiet moan. Her hands moved down the sides of his neck, over his broad shoulders, and down his back. His slid behind her to rest on the curve of her waist and hips.

As arousal threatened to overtake rational thought, Lexi brought one hand to his chest and pushed herself back. Breathing hard, she spoke in a ragged voice, "We have to stop. We can't do this now. I need to sleep; you need to go back to the villa. This isn't the time."

Jack nodded his head. "You're right. I wish you weren't, but you are. I won't lie, though. I hope there's going to be a right time, soon."

"Don't doubt it for a minute."

He smiled and stood, as did she, and they walked to the door. Going up on tiptoes, Lexi pressed her lips to his before saying goodnight. He walked out humming their song.

*****

Lexi woke not long after dawn the next morning and went for her usual run. Once showered and dressed, she took her breakfast in the clubhouse, receiving several compliments on her performance the night before. Trying to keep the blushes to a minimum, she thanked them all sincerely.