Chapter 6

Nigel was waiting for her in the foyer when she arrived at the house.

"Dearest, are we ready?"

On the desk in the office were four copies of the forty-two-page contract, one for Nigel, one for her, one for his lawyers, one for hers. It was a daunting sight.

"Your lawyer seems like a very reasonable and competent man. I'm glad you have him, and Mr. Wolff has already begun the process of opening the correct bank accounts for you in London. You wouldn't believe how many of my artists come to me with no representation. But not Alexis Rose West. I have the feeling you've been well in control of your life since birth."

"Don't exaggerate. Maybe since kindergarten."

"Do you know, dearest, I believe I'm beginning to love you. Are you ready?"

"I am."

*****

Lexi's hand was cramped from the nearly one hundred initials and signatures that she had written. She didn't care. She was a recording artist with Spiral Records. She had a three album, two tour deal.

There was a conversation about her personal habits and history. Remembering what Jack had said about managers knowing everything, she didn't even blink as Nigel questioned her. Alcohol? Occasionally in moderation, rarely in excess. Pot? On and off through high school and once or twice in college. None in several years. No other drugs. Five sexual partners in seven years, no pregnancies, no diseases. Sex with any of the boys yet? No. Thinking about it? Yes. Jack? Of course.

"It's to be expected, dearest. Just keep it quiet and don't break his heart or have yours broken. It makes for fantastic lyrics and a miserable life. You've made a good choice with Mr. Ripley. He's got his head and his heart in the right places. Now, I know you have a boat trip planned, so you should get along. We'll have a celebratory dinner at the club tonight. Lexi?"

"Yes Nigel?"

"This is going to be wonderful."

*****

The driver took Lexi to the local pharmacy where she found what she and Jack needed. While walking through the aisles she decided to pick up some sick bags and Dramamine, to take care of any of the boys who might not have their sea legs. She suspected that none of them had much experience on the water.

Back in her bungalow, Lexi donned the 'uniform' Emma had requested she wear for the afternoon. Her red bikini and jean cutoff shorts, along with a man's plain white button-down shirt provided by the cheerful assistant.

Asked to wear her hair in a 'young and sporty' style, Lexi pulled the front into two small braided pigtails to keep it off of her face in the wind, and left the rest to fall naturally. She hoped she didn't look too much like Baby Spice.

Once at the villa, she understood her outfit. All four boys wore red swim trunks and untucked white button-down shirts. Fantine, their photographer, asked Lexi to join in as she took individual and group shots in front of the bougainvillea. Her lilting Haitian accent and warm smile soon had Lexi at ease and enjoying the new role of model.

The boat was just under seventy feet long, sleek, and modern. Two jet skis were lashed to the swim deck on the stern. As they boarded, Lexi noticed that Lukas was staying close to Fantine. So much for Laura.

Lexi stored her things just inside the main cabin, with the sick bags at the ready. Between years on the water and her nursing skills, she would be able to manage anyone who might be feeling a little queasy.

She and the boys made their way to the bow and sat, legs over the side. Emma and Phillip stayed in the stern, conferring with Fantine. Once out of the marina, the captain increased their speed until they were surging forward, racing over the ocean. Lexi was in her element.