Chapter 18

Her belly had 'popped' while in the US. With the rest of her physique as slender as ever, the protruding tummy made her condition clear unless adequately covered. The wardrobe mistress for the video shoot, informed of the pregnancy, had chosen low rise jeans, an oversized men's plaid flannel shirt, a fisherman's knit cashmere sweater (Lexi's new favorite article of clothing) and a long red turtleneck sweater dress. The last would require some creative camera angles and camouflage, but the art director felt it was the right look and continued the red tradition.

They would be traveling by private jet into Inverness. Lexi was uneasy, but ready to move past her fears. She was also hopeful that there wouldn't be a repeat of the flight home from the US, but packed herself a few sick bags to be prudent.

Gathering at the airport mid-morning, the group walked out onto the tarmac cheerful and ready to go. Until Lexi saw the jet and stopped dead in her tracks.

"No," she said, as she shook visibly. "No no no." Her knees began to buckle, Jack and Lukas just catching her before she hit the ground, keening "nononono..."

"What is it, Sweetheart?" Jack whispered in her ear. "Is it the baby?"

She looked up at him, panicked. "It's the same plane."

Without a second thought, he picked her up and carried her back into the terminal, Emma and Phillip close on their heels. The others looked at each other, raising their shoulders and shaking their heads. Until Lukas put it together.

"She said it was the plane. The same plane. Bloody hell, it must be the same kind her parents died in. They'll have to get us a new one, won't they?"

Inside, she was calming down, no longer trembling, and able to speak. "I can't do it. I'm so sorry but I can't do it. I know they required every one of them to be checked and repaired before they were put back in use, but I just can't."

Phillip had gone to make new arrangements as soon as he grasped the seriousness of the problem. Emma soothed Lexi, as Jack stood by, wishing he could take her in his arms. Unable to do so, he excused himself and went back to the waiting boys.

"We're getting a new plane. It might take a while, so why don't you all come back in. I think Lexi would like the company."

They found her on a banquette of seats, feet up on her bag, sipping an orange Fanta. She looked up at the small crowd as they approached. "Sorry."

Everyone spoke at once, assuring her that there was no need to be sorry, that they understood, that they were sorry it had happened. Phillip joined them a few minutes later with the news that another jet would be ready in half an hour, and that it was brand new and roomier than the reject. He kneeled by Lexi.

"Are you alright, dear?"

She knew he was shaken if he was calling her 'dear.'

"I'm fine now, I promise. I saw them off at the airport, you know, watched them take off. Seeing it there, meant to be our plane, it was a shock. Thank you for finding the new one."

They were onboard and in the air only an hour behind schedule, touching down in Inverness just under two hours after takeoff. Lexi felt fine the entire time.

*****

Loch Lomond was beautiful, surrounded by steep mountains and thick woods. The large, timbered lodge was mere yards from the rocky shoreline along which they would be filming. A bonfire on a rocky point extending into the lake would add to the cozy atmosphere, perfect for the love song Keep Me Warm.

Much like the models in Florida, the three young women who greeted them in the great room of the lodge were a diverse group. Ami, slender with blue black hair and upturned black eyes, was a foil for voluptuous Astrid with her deep golden blonde waves. Elspeth was a classic Scottish beauty, with wildly curling auburn hair and freckles everywhere.