Chapter 17

Lexi was included in all of the remaining interviews leading up to the album's debut two weeks later. She insisted on not coming in until the end, and only answering a few questions. It was important to her that the band remain the focus of any press.

She was sick in the morning now and then, but by the release date she hadn't been ill in days; she hoped it wouldn't rear its ugly head again while they were traveling.

While the band spent the night before the album's release at Nigel's house, Lexi chose to stay at home, packing for the upcoming trip with Emma's help. Ewan had moved out the week before. The house seemed empty without him and Lexi was pleased when Emma agreed to spend the night.

Morning found them at the BBC1 studio before dawn, preparing for an interview and performance. Spirits were nearly as high as the preliminary numbers. There was no doubt that the album, also titled Don't Be Shy, was headed straight to number one.

Before climbing in the chair for hair and makeup, Lexi asked to use the bathroom. As she opened the door to return to the green room, Jack blocked the doorway, pushing her gently backwards and following her into the small room. "I had to see you."

"Jack, this is dangerous. I need to go get ready."

He wound her hair around one hand, pulling her against him with the other, as he kissed her. "I've been wanting to do that ever since we got here. Now this remarkable day is complete. Off you go, I'll be a moment behind you." He turned her around and she slid through the door.

Today's red dress was a ruffle-edged wrap that gave the false impression of a tapered waist. The shopper had done a fantastic job. Her sheet of silken hair flowed loose, and her makeup was minimal; she loved feeling so natural and comfortable on stage.

They had a fifteen-minute interview, during which the host asked smart and interesting questions. Was Fyn's family in Ghana excited about the album? Yes, very. Had Ewan's family come down from Glasgow for the release? No, but he would see them in a few days when the band made an appearance there. Was it true that Lukas had landed a modeling gig with Armani? Yes, he would be working with them between now and the start of the tour. What did Jack think about all the screaming fans? Was he ever tempted to call one of the numbers thrown his way?

Lexi had to restrain herself from leaning over Ewan to better hear the answer.

"The fans are fantastic. We couldn't do this without them. Hearing them and seeing them and feeling their energy is amazing."

The host asked again about the phone numbers.

"I imagine we've all been tempted."

"Mmm... it would seem you've all been well media trained."

Jack just smiled, and, knowing that he would get nothing more from the young man, the host moved on.

It was at around the seven-minute mark when the attention turned to Lexi. There were the standard questions about her discovery, what it was like to work with the band, when she would record her own album. The interview was quick and comfortable and soon at an end. It was time for their performance, for the first time they would be performing both singles in a row. Lexi loved the momentum as they segued from one song to the next and was pleasantly surprised to see a few red dresses dotting the audience.

After the smiles, waves, photos, and autographs, they moved on to a press event at Spiral Records that lasted into the early afternoon. Lexi was able to go home and rest for a few hours before their celebratory dinner at the 'it' restaurant of the moment.

The evening was perfect. Their private dining room was intimate but not crowded and the food was sublime. Keeping an eye out for waitstaff, Lexi and Jack allowed themselves to sit next to one another and hold hands beneath the table.

Nigel was effusive in his praise of the boys - their talent, their behavior, their success. He didn't neglect the rest of the team, thanking Phillip and Emma for their indefatigable efforts. As for Lexi, he looked at her fondly and wondered what her next surprise would be.

It was an early night for all, after a day of the highest emotions. There were two radio interviews the next day and then they would be leaving for the first leg of the press junket, a grueling week on a tour bus, covering much of England and Scotland.

Lexi was so ill the first day on the bus, as it swayed down the highways, that they hired a separate car for her and Emma.

*****

Although Jack was usually able to join Lexi in her hotel room at night, she made sure to show equal affection to all four boys in public. Always remaining in the background until asked for, when she was with the band there was cheerful camaraderie and light flirtation. Smiles, holding hands, arms around waists, sweet kisses on cheeks – they projected the relationship of best friends or siblings, and the fans loved it.

Ewan's large family, both immediate and extended, met them in Glasgow. Lukas' parents and four sisters drove down from Leeds to meet them in Manchester. Mary and Daniel joined them in Cardiff. Fyn's grandmother, with whom he lived in London, had attended every performance in the city from the start.

Everywhere they went Lexi spent hours at the car window, soaking in the picturesque English countryside, feeling more and more certain that this was where she was meant to be.

*****

They weren't in any of the European cities long enough to get a sense of them, and soon they were on their way to New York, with the first class cabin all to themselves. After the lights dimmed, Jack climbed in with Lexi, spooning up behind her, covering them both with a blanket, and running his hands along her body.

"Jack, I need to rest. How am I supposed to sleep with you here, doing that?"

"Don't sleep. Do you think we could...?"

"Are you insane?"

"No, I'm randy. How about the loo? It's very clean and there's room for two."

"We'll be caught. Arrested. We'll blow our cover."

He bent forward and kissed her neck softly. "I'll go first. You come in a minute and tap twice. People do it all the time. It'll be smashing."

He slid out of the cubby and she heard the lock on the head click. Sitting up, she checked to see if any of the others were looking their way. Phillip and Emma, two rows ahead, were deep in conversation. Fyn and Lukas were fast asleep. Ewan, in the cubby behind Lexi's, leaned out and grinned. "Have fun, I'll keep the coast clear if I can."

Ewan was snoring as they passed him a short while later, on the way back to their seats.

*****

She actually enjoyed New York this time. The fans there were different, a little less out of control, a little more thoughtful. Red dresses abounded in the audience, and on the street outside the television studio were four boys and a girl dressed exactly like the band and Lexi in the video. They made time to stop and meet their doppelgängers, who had come to the studio before dawn, hoping to be seen. It was Lexi's favorite moment of the entire tour.

She still hated LA, except for getting to wear two sweet, summery red dresses. She was worried that she might have to spend a significant amount of time there in the future. It was the epicenter of the music business and most artists, she had come to understand, kept homes here. She hoped to break the mold.

They weren't alone in the first-class cabin for the long flight home, and Lexi was thoroughly embarrassed when she was sick, twice, for the first time since the bus.

With only two days between their return to London and a trip to Loch Lomond in the Scottish Highlands to shoot the third video, Lexi spent most of the flight banking sleep.