Chapter 30

Tom came over the day after she got home. The BAFTAs were in ten days, and his date was laid up with a terrible fracture sustained while filming an action movie. She and Tom had been co-stars in the film for which he was nominated for Best Actor in a Supporting Role. He wondered if Lexi would fill the now-empty seat beside him.

Only if he took her to Thomas Saveng's that very afternoon, after he took her to lunch, of course. She was usually hungry these days.

In the designer's atelier she was first scolded for coming on such short notice, then measured for the gown she would wear to the BRITs in February, and finally shown the ready to wear dresses currently in his collection. It wasn't until he pulled the final one from the rack that she had an 'oh!' reaction.

The dress was deep black cherry red silk satin, cut on the bias to softly and closely follow her form. The ruched empire bodice was slightly gathered at the center of the décolletage; Thomas said the wearer was meant to find a clip or brooch to their own taste and affix it there. Lexi was sold.

Carrying the dress in the house and up to Lexi's room, Tom saw the concert photo that the band had given her for Christmas hanging on the first floor landing.

"This picture is fantastic," he said to her as she came up stairs behind him. "What a wonderful thing for the baby to have as it grows up. Mum's first concert, on stage with her boys. Lexi, do you think your baby will know who its father is?"

She was standing by him now, taking the dress from his hands. "I think so. It's what we'd both like, but it could also be confusing and risky. I suppose we'll play it by ear." He followed her in the room as she hung the dress in her closet. "What about you? Do you think about being a father?"

"We thought about having a baby, Bella and I, and as we talked it through I realized that I don't have any particular desire for children. I like them - my nieces and I get on like a house on fire; I took them to the Ready to Run concert. I've enjoyed working with children as well – but I feel no need to replace myself, no drive to continue the line, as it were. I had a vasectomy at thirty."

"I respect that. There are too many children with apathetic or resentful parents who had them because they felt they should, not because they actually wanted them. Good for you for knowing yourself that well. You're a cool guy, Tom Langford." She gave him a kiss on the cheek before they went to forage for a snack in the kitchen.

*****

The day of the BAFTAs dawned cold and damp. It was, after all, January in London. Lexi's spirits were bright, however. There was a massage that morning, a mani-pedi midday, and someone at the house by two o'clock to do her hair and makeup. She had decided that, at nearly eight months pregnant, she could allow herself to be pampered. She already had all the same people scheduled for the day of the BRITs.

Lexi was upstairs when Tom arrived. Rory let him in and then jogged up to let her know her escort was there. "Rory, I can't decide what to put here in the center of my dress. What do you think?"

"Um... stylist isn't really on my CV."

"Have Tom come up. I'll ask him."

When he walked in the room, she was surprised to see he carried a black velvet box. "What's that?"

"'Tis is the answer to your prayers. Open it."

Inside, on a bed of white satin, was a demi-parure. Necklace, bracelet, earrings, and two pins, all simple inch and a half long gold bars pavé set with sparkling clear stones.

"No, don't scold me, they're not real. They're from a delicious little costume jewelry store. I know you won't wear the necklace, and I don't know about the bracelet, but I thought the earrings would suit you, and you can use one of the bar pins in the center of your dress."