Part Four, Chapter 31

Lexi was in the studio when the boys arrived in London. She got a message from Jack that afternoon that read, 'Lukas left some food and the bloody milk out at Christmas. May I stay at yours until he has the exterminators and cleaners in? Mum will be up tomorrow for a visit, so it won't seem strange if I'm coming and going.'

It was a happy homecoming, made happier by the fact that Jack would be making his first trip to St. Briggita's with her that week. Mary would be there as well. She was coming for the appointment, to spend a few days with Jack, as well as to help interview nannies; Lexi wanted the input of someone she considered to be an excellent mother.

It was a special scan, three dimensional, and they were in awe when they saw the baby's face, fingers, and toes. Both mother and child were in excellent health, and Dr. Barasa thought the plans for shooting a music video later in the month were reasonable, as long as Lexi didn't ask too much of her body. The upcoming BRITs needed to be her final big event before the baby arrived.

Thomas Saveng had been working assiduously on Lexi's gown for almost two months. Made entirely in white floral lace, it flowed very simply, from one shoulder, in soft folds to the ground. Scattered across the fabric, in the center of an occasional flower, were tiny clusters of sparkling crystals.

Ready to Run won both of its nominations, and again Lexi joined them onstage, this time for Song of the Year – Gotta Find You. Jack took her arm as she slowly mounted the steps to the stage, and stood next to her at the podium. He was the one to thank her this time, and even gave her a very brotherly peck on the cheek, as did the others. They were all smiles as they retook their seats a short while later.

Again, Lexi left as soon as the ceremony ended, relieved to get home and off her feet. Mary was waiting at the door, ready to help her undress and tuck her in bed like a child. It was wonderful. The next morning they would be interviewing five nanny candidates, chosen by Emma from a service known for their excellent providers and impeccable discretion.

*****

Upon arrival at the nanny service's office, Lexi and Mary read the profiles of their candidates. Two were immediately declined, without an interview; one for her advanced age and one for her youth. Lexi knew it was petty, but she didn't want a young and attractive woman in her house.

After interviewing the remaining three candidates Lexi, Mary, and Emma had no need to discuss their choice. Mairead Murphy was a forty-six-year-old Irishwoman with stellar references and three prior positions, one of which involved a situation very similar to Lexi's. She was capable and completely trustworthy. They signed the contract on the spot and arranged for her to join the household on March first, three weeks before the baby's due date, at which time she would meet the father.

Mary left for home the next day, confident that Lexi's household would be comfortable and well run when the baby arrived. She planned to return soon with Daniel, who desperately wanted to see Lexi's belly and feel the baby moving inside her.

Valentine's Day came and went, with individual bouquets from all the boys as well as one from Tom, who also sent decadent French chocolates and told her he was holding a special bottle of champagne for an evening after the baby arrived.

Jack came after dark. Lexi had, with a little help from Emma, managed to bake a batch of delicious heart-shaped sugar cookies for Jack which she then decorated with sayings from traditional candy hearts. Jack ate half the plate in one sitting. She tucked a picture from the last scan inside his card.

Her gift from Jack was beautiful. A gold disk, nearly the same size as his pendant, engraved with a simple heart on one side and text on the other. 'We three, You & Me & Wee.' Unclasping her necklace for the first time since she put it on a year and a half earlier, Lexi slid the pendant down the chain, where it settled just behind her parents' rings. "All of my most beloved people, so close to my heart. Thank you."

*****

Under Paul's direction, Lexi filmed her first video, an emotive and visually stunning work, for the single Wonder. They traveled to the Cornish moors, where they shot scenes of Lexi walking slowly through wild winter countryside, dressed in flowing silks, singing as she discovered beauty in the bleakness. Her pregnancy was emphasized, tying her impending maternity to the wonder of nature.

They returned to London to film the rest of the video in a studio where Lexi, covered by a satin sheet up to her chest, lay on top of a light table as she moved slowly, as if floating, and sang. White roses surrounded her as hands reached in from off camera to stroke and touch her body.

All four boys' hands were in the video, along with professional hand models. Lexi was naked beneath the sheet, which was subtly revealing. She hadn't really thought twice about her exposed body until the boys arrived at the studio. Jack scowled, Lukas smiled, Fyn shook his head, and Ewan turned beet red.

"Come on guys, you've all seen me in a bikini. It's not that different."

"To be fair, you weren't eight months pregnant and your nipples were rather less... obvious," Fyn said very seriously.

"Point taken. If any of you are offended or particularly uncomfortable, then sit it out. I won't hold it against you, but we need to get moving."

They all stayed.

Lexi did feel slightly self-conscious at first as the hands of strangers stroked her arms, hips, cheeks, belly. Soon, however, she was lost in the song and following Paul's directions. Jack had positioned himself at her head, running his fingers repeatedly through the length of her hair. The sheet slipped from her chest once or twice, sending Ewan into a flush and Jack into another scowl.

When Lukas saw one of the hand models take note of Jack's unhappy expression, he grumbled as well, voicing his unhappiness that 'their' sweet girl in the red dress was showing so much skin. Lexi gave mental thanks for his quick thinking.

That evening the four boys arrived at Lexi's house for a delivered dinner to celebrate wrapping her first music video. Only three of them left. Not only was Jack eager for the time with Lexi, Mairead would be coming the next day and he needed to be there to meet her.

*****

Jack was showering when the nanny arrived; they weren't introduced until she came down from settling into her room an hour later. If the woman was surprised to learn who the father of her charge was, she didn't show it in the least. Parents and nanny looked over the nursery, making a list of the final items needed. Mairead and Lexi would have a shopping trip in the next few days.

Mary and Daniel were back again, and the house seemed very full and happy, especially when Jack came for dinner and stayed for the night. He agreed to have coffee with Tom and Lexi, with the rest of the boys along for appearances. It was awkward but not unpleasant, and Lexi left feeling as though the two men would play nice.

That same day she spoke to Jenny again, and already the conversation between them felt more comfortable and warm. They agreed that Jenny would come visit over her Easter break, a few weeks after the baby's birth, and she accepted Lexi's offer to pay for the trip after Lexi pointed out that the cost would impact her bank account significantly less than it would her friend's.

As February drew to a close, Lexi felt a sense of calm. The house was ready for the baby, Mairead was settling in easily, the boys were basking in the glow of their success, and the wound between her and Jenny was mending. She was content to wait peacefully for Wee West to arrive.