Chapter 15

She was in the bathroom being sick when the alarm sounded, and it had reached an ear-piercing volume by the time she got back in her room to turn it off. The morning sickness seemed to be more an annoyance than anything else; she felt perfectly fine as soon as she vomited, and hopefully it would remain that way. She remembered the stories about the Duchess of Cambridge's debilitating illness and said a little prayer that the same wouldn't happen to her.

She considered wearing a tidy skirt and jacket to meet with Nigel, but decided that would make her look exactly how she felt – like a young girl sent to the principal's office – so instead she wore jeans and a breezy blouse.

Jack did look the guilty schoolboy in khaki pants, a light blue dress shirt, and a blue blazer. Seeing Lexi's more casual attire, he discarded the jacket, placing it between them on the rear seat. They held hands beneath it.

Nigel's home, a modern mansion set in a few acres, was just outside the city. Jack gave Lexi's hand one last squeeze before they exited the car. Phillip and Emma were waiting at the open front door, Phillip scowling and Emma looking at Lexi with a combination of concern and exasperation. They all went in together.

*****

It hadn't been as bad as they expected; one bit had actually been wonderful.

Nigel began with a very angry tirade full of 'How could you' and 'Why didn't you' and 'What are we supposed to do now.' Once he had scolded them, and then been convinced that it was an honest accident, he was quickly back to his take charge self. "Now," he said, "Let me tell you what we're going to do."

Lexi would continue to work with the band until they went on tour in November. The travel and performing on stage would be uncomfortable for her by then. She would still film the music video scheduled for late October, in about six weeks. He agreed that a bulky sweater would be a perfectly fine look for the video's campfire theme. As for her own album, the pregnancy actually meant she could begin recording sooner than expected, when the boys left.

Nigel did take a serious tone when he reminded them of the need for utmost secrecy. Phillip and Emma knew already, as well as Mary and Daniel. Fred and George would need to know. The band would, of course, be told. No. One. Else.

That was when the wonderful thing happened.

"Now, dearest," Nigel said to Lexi when the rest of the business had been concluded, "we do have a slight problem with regards to your becoming independent of the band. You've been navigating all this under the auspices of Phillip and Emma, but choosing the correct manager for you in the new circumstances requires considerable thought. We can't have just anyone coming into the fold.

"You told me once that you'd like me to clone Emma for you. We, Emma, Phillip, and I, have come to the decision that since we cannot clone her, you shall simply have the original. What do you think about that?"

"I think it's the best thing ever. But, Emma, are you sure you want this? It's going to be complicated."

"We'll do just fine, my dear. Now, you and I have some things to discuss about the wee one that these gentlemen don't need to be a part of. Shall we go to the conservatory and have a cup of tea while we chat?"

As they sat, surrounded by potted plants and flowers, Emma patted Lexi's hand. "Now, the most important thing on our list is to get you in at St. Briggita's. It's an exclusive hospital in London, with a lovely maternity wing. They can be relied upon for utter discretion. It's where the rich and famous and royal go. Jack will be able to be there with you when the time comes, without fear of... discovery."

"That sounds perfect. I should be seen soon, to confirm how far along I am and the due date and just for a checkup. Will you come with me? I don't think Jack should, do you?"