Chapter 14

Half an hour later, as Mary left to go buy a test from a pharmacy two towns away, where she wouldn't be recognized, Jack and Lexi sat on a bench in the garden.

"I just don't understand," the young woman said through the tears that hadn't stopped flowing since she said the word for the first time. "We've been responsible; this shouldn't be possible. I'm so sorry, Jack. So sorry."

"No apologies, Lexi. We were both involved, if you remember.

As she stood and began pacing in front of him, they heard a tap from one of the upstairs windows. Daniel was looking out at them, holding his hands out to each side, palms up, mouthing 'Can I come down?'

"Let him come," Lexi said, nodding her head, "just don't say anything yet. We don't know anything for certain."

Jack motioned for his brother to come.

"He's going to go crazy, especially when he sees you've been crying, and he'll want to know where Mum's gone. I'll think of something to distract him, you go up and lie down for a bit. You'll feel better."

She nodded, "Thank you."

He leaned in to kiss her, but she pulled away.

"Why won't you kiss me?"

She didn't answer as she walked quickly away, passing Daniel in the doorway. She heard him ask, "What's wrong with everybody?" as she went up the stairs.

An hour later Lexi and Jack were in the bathroom, looking at two bright pink lines in the window of the test stick.

"Oh, Jesus," Lexi was crying again, "I can't believe this. I'm a nurse, for Christ's sake. I taught sex ed to high school students for a year. We were as safe as possible. Why is this happening?"

Jack shook his head, "We might never know why, but it is happening. And it's your body. I'll accept whatever you decide." He looked like a frightened boy trying desperately to be a responsible man.

"What I decide? Oh, I see. Jack, the only thing I do know for sure right now is that I'm going to have this baby. I can give it a happy, loving, comfortable life. Your involvement will be entirely up to you. Jesus, we have to tell Phillip and Emma right away. I'm going to lose it all, aren't I?"

He lifted her chin and wiped her eyes. "No, that's not true. Plenty of women have recorded and performed and even toured whilst pregnant and with babies. It can be done, you'll see. I need to call Phillip, and I think we need to tell Daniel as well. We can't keep hiding behind closed doors and sending him to his room. I'm going to run down and speak to Mum quickly, then make the call. Why don't you splash your face with cold water and brush your hair? You look a bit of a fright."

He stood, bringing her with him, and kissed her tenderly. "I don't know why you wouldn't kiss me in the garden, Lexi, but I have no plans to stop kissing you, no matter what. I'll be in my room."

She brushed and braided her hair, washed her face, and went down. Mary was sitting on the sofa in the salon, with Daniel. Lexi sat on a chair nearby.

"Lexi," Mary said in a voice wavering with emotion, "Jack told me what you've decided, and I'm glad. I thought I'd wait until you joined us to tell Daniel the news, I hope that's alright?" Lexi nodded. "There's no need to tiptoe around it, I suppose. Daniel, Lexi and Jack are going to have a baby."

"Sick!"

He was smiling like a fool, so Lexi assumed that 'sick' was, in fact, a good thing.

"When? Is it a boy or a girl? Is that why you were ill? This is SO cool! Can I tell my friends?"