Chapter 33

John Theodore Ripley West, Teddy, was born at ten o'clock in the morning on his father's twenty-first birthday.

Jack, his focus unwavering, had held Lexi's hand and whispered encouragement in her ear. When the baby was placed on his mother's belly, Jack didn't shrink from the squalling, mottled, and slime-covered infant. Instead, he gently ran his fingers over the tiny body, eyes wide in wonder. Lexi was in heaven, seeing the two most precious humans in her life finally united.

Daniel and the boys came in after both Lexi and Teddy had been tidied up, followed by Emma and Phillip, who only stayed for a few minutes. Emma explained that the band would be making a statement at the Spiral offices later that afternoon, announcing the birth of Teddy West, as he would be known publicly. Jack went with the boys to catch some sleep before the event.

Lexi woke from a doze when Tom arrived with a vintage stuffed rabbit that had known much love. There was a fresh light blue velvet ribbon around its neck.

"He was mine," Tom explained, "and I called him Teddy as I didn't have a bear. My mother sent him a few weeks ago and I added the ribbon this morning as soon as I knew it was a boy. I'm not sure he's up for much cuddling at his age, but I thought he might watch over your Teddy in the nursery."

"Oh, Tom, what a lovely gift. He'll have pride of place on the shelf over the crib. Now come over to the bassinet and meet my son."

As he lifted Teddy and held him comfortably, speaking softly close to his ear, Lexi was sad for a moment that Tom wouldn't have children of his own. He stayed through a feeding and until Lexi fell asleep mid-sentence. She sighed in her sleep as he kissed her cheek before leaving.

*****

The announcement of Teddy West's birth by Ready to Run was perfect. As they sang the Happy Birthday song, a cascade of blue balloons fell behind them before they gave his name to the press. Lexi saw it that evening on the entertainment news. Mary, Daniel, and Jack came back after dinner, bringing a cake in celebration of Jack and Teddy's birthday. Jack opened his gifts which Mary had the forethought to bring back from Devon.

He loved the watch, mostly because it said 'Father.'

Mary and Daniel said their goodbyes; they would be going home the next morning. Mary would be back in a few weeks once the household had settled into a routine. Jack stayed a little while longer, laying in the bed with Lexi and the baby, caressing his head as Lexi fed him. She would be in the hospital for two more days and nights, but they wouldn't see each other again until she was at home. He elicited promises of photos and daily video calls until then.

By the end of the next day, Lexi's suite was overflowing with flowers, balloons, stuffed animals and other gifts from friends and acquaintances in the business. John and Scott won the prize for most outrageous with their quarter scale carousel horse. Lexi thought it would have to go in a vacant corner of the guest room. She was dumbstruck by the kindness of her friends as well as people she barely knew.

Fans sent flowers and gifts to Spiral Records, and when Nigel came to visit her the day before she went home, he showed her photos from the lobby. They agreed that the flowers would be donated to local churches, and Rory would come retrieve the gifts and take them home.

Nigel wasn't terribly interested in Teddy. Not until we see if he can sing, thought Lexi. He wanted to discuss the upcoming release of her first and second singles, her album, and the ensuing press junket.

"Nigel!" She stopped him in mid-sentence. "I gave birth forty-eight hours ago. I've barely slept in three days. I'll call your secretary in a week or two and you can come over for an actual meeting. I understand how important the schedule is, and there's no reason to think I won't be able to manage it. Right now, however, is not the time."