Part Nine, Chapter 42

Lexi's third album was released six weeks after Ready to Run went on tour, and she found that she was glad the band couldn't attend the release parties. She made the usual trip: London, New York, LA.

She didn't stay with Tom; he was dating an actress who had a recurring role on his show. They did, however, have a pleasant dinner. Lexi appreciated that they were able to move from lovers to friends and back again, and she knew that she would always be able to count on his love and support.

She kept tabs on Jack, hearing frequently from Emma, the boys, and Phillip. They were certain that he hadn't even had a drink, much less done drugs, since the binge following her call. The first two weeks had been rough; twice he'd had to run offstage during a song to vomit, and he needed stage makeup to cover his pallid skin and the circles under his eyes, but he made every performance.

He seemed to have accepted the break in communication between himself and Lexi but asked the boys about her and Teddy every day.

Fyn wrote that he and Jack had many long and sincere conversations about why Jack had gone off the deep end, and how he could prevent himself from doing it again, especially if Lexi decided not to honor her promise. Fyn also told her that Jack, now seeing his behavior with a clear mind, admitted and accepted that she had every right not to keep that vow. Lexi began to feel hope for the first time in what seemed like forever.

The band would be on hiatus over the holidays, and ten days before Christmas Lexi received a call from Phillip.

"He'd like to see Teddy on Christmas. Either at your place or Mary's. I think you should let him, Lexi. He's been clean almost two months, and he's acting like himself again. I know him Lexi, and this is the real deal. He seems more focused, more mature. Will you consider it?"

"Jesus, Phillip... are you sure? I feel as though this is awfully fast, but then again, I don't know how long would be 'long enough.'"

"I've been talking to someone affiliated with Spiral who has dealt with other artists in similar cases and she feels that this is legitimate. I wish you could see him, Lexi. He's good. I promise you he's good."

She thought a moment before answering, "I need to see him first. Not at the house, but somewhere equally private. And I'm going to have Rory with me. I'll feel more secure knowing he's there. Just in case."

"I think that's fair. Will you meet him at his apartment? That will make him more comfortable, I imagine."

"Yes, that's fine. Just let me know when. And Phillip?"

"Yes?"

"Thank you."

*****

Lexi thought she might vomit as she and Rory took the elevator to the penthouse of Jack's building. They had agreed that the security guard would wait in the kitchen while she and Jack spoke in the living room.

It had been so long since she had seen the real Jack, the Jack who looked impishly out from under dark lashes and over freckled cheeks, the Jack who spooned behind her in bed as they talked for hours about everything in the world, the Jack who loved to feed and bathe and sing to his son. She was so afraid he still wouldn't be there.

He had cut his hair back to the length it had been when they first met, and he had put on a little healthy weight since she saw him onstage almost two months earlier. His eyes were clear, the blue glinting, shining as he saw her.

They said nothing as he showed Rory to the kitchen and told him to have whatever he'd like from the fridge and pantry. Lexi was sitting in a chair alongside the sofa, where Jack now sat, resting an elbow on the arm and leaning slightly toward her.